Speedometer Correction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Vancouver (USA, Not Canada) WA (State, Not D.C.)
I did a spring over on my '62 and put LT 315-16 Toyo M/T's on it.

My spedometer is 18% to 20% off according to my GPS.

I stopped by the local speedo shop and he said that there was no gear replacement to correct it and I'd have to install a gear reduction type adaptor.

Anybody have any experience with these? Is there a simple gear replacement?

It's the stock A440 automatic transmission.

Thanks,
Bill

Skybill said:
My spedometer is 18% to 20% off according to my GPS.

I stopped by the local speedo shop and he said that there was no gear replacement to correct it and I'd have to install a gear reduction type adaptor.

Anybody have any experience with these?
Thanks,
Bill

Yes....they work very well. Just verified the accuracy of our adapter on a recent road trip and it was spot on.

Here's your source since you're "local" ;) :

Speedometer Service and Instrument Company
3551 NW Front Ave.
Portland, OR 97210

they do these adapters for Cruisers on a regular basis for a local Cruiser shop and I can personally vouch for their work firsthand

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

The reduction box will work well, I ran one on my FJ-62 for a number of years. I recently re-geared the diffs so that I'm back to stock and took my reduction box off. 100 miles later my speedo cable broke. My guess is that the box made the cable bend a little sharper right at the junction to the box and when i removed it and straightened it back out that was enough fatigue to cause it to fail. But hey, it had 175,000 miles on it and now I have a speedometer that is nice and smooth :)

Mine was custom calibrated. I had a speedo shop in Seattle do it. He just did speedometers and boxes etc but the guy has since retired. Look around your area for speedometer shops. Maybe try commerical trucking/big rig repair shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom