Speedometer Correction Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
Okay, so the stock FZJ80 driven gear is 32 teeth. Slee offers a 31 tooth driven gear but that will only make it 3.2% faster. I need about 7% correction. Anybody find a source for a 30 tooth? I already called the dealer and they don't carry it or Toyota doesn't make such a part. I'm trying to find a less costly solution than the Superlift Tru-speed Calibrator.

I am exploring the option of getting a custom Ratio Adaptor. The cost is $90 from
http://www.speedometershop.com/ratio.html

Anybody try this?

Slee sells a electrical inline converter which will convert the pulses coming from the speed sensor to whatever you want, it's the Tru-Speed caliberator.

Personally I just tilt my head to the left in a round-about fashion to see the speed I'm really going.. :)

My speedo is about 10% off, give or take, I've never checked it with a GPS but I've driven by many cars with that huge digital display that I can read from 20' away, those are nice, granted it scares the hell out of Granny with this huge noisy vehicle right beside her staring at her... :D

I know when my speedo says 80mph, I am doing exactly 90mph, tested it for an hour or more across Utah, timing seconds between mileage posts, good way to pass the time...

Later..
Mark Brodis

Initially, I was trying to avoid spending the $$ on the TruSpeed but it looks like I am going more towards that direction.

[quote author=hoser link=board=2;threadid=13955;start=msg129516#msg129516 date=1080670613]
Initially, I was trying to avoid spending the $$ on the TruSpeed but it looks like I am going more towards that direction.
[/quote]

Believe me I feel your pain. But sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to spend a lii bit mo from the start. ;)

...I have the Truspeed , and will vouch for it . I did an interior install of it , based on Landtanks insightful guidance . I also placed the recallibrator in the glovebox , with plenty of extra cable so I can take the thing and hold it in one hand while steering with the other . That way I can get on the freeway , and use a gps to callibrate it (solo) as my tires change or I regear . It will allow you to callibrate for different tires as well as gears .

The thing is sweet ! Get it .... :cheers:

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

Is it true that installing the speedo correction gear (or the calibrator) will also correct the tranny shift points of the tranny back to stock again (+/-)?

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:
Is it true that installing the speedo correction gear (or the calibrator) will also correct the tranny shift points of the tranny back to stock again (+/-)?

Thanks

True story.

Mine did, at least.

Boston Mangler said:

Thanks

Landtank can explain this best .. it's still slow off the line, but once you get into 2nd gear and beyond, it feels better. (Especially with the OD button off, and the PWR button engaged;) )

:cheers:

hoser,
I use a ratio adapter on my 60 and it works great, but it's a manual shift.
There is a speedo shop here in Denver that does the work and I plan to bring my 80 down there after the 1st. to see what may be involved.
$90.00 is about right. I payed $70.
I plan to post up if the adapter works. There are alot of 80's out there that aren't clocking right.
The Truspeeds works well but the probability of being stranded by it scares me.

devo

Works in the mighty A442F.

landtank said:
What are you talking about?
Robbie posted in an earlyer thread telling someone to keep the jumper wire handy so that one would not get stranded, Maybe that is what he is refering to?:confused:

loquito said:
Robbie posted in an earlyer thread telling someone to keep the jumper wire handy so that one would not get stranded, Maybe that is what he is refering to?:confused:

If that's the case then Robbie is wrong. While the speedometer is used to enhance the drive-ability of the vehicle it's not a critical element. If you were to loose your speedometer whether or not there was a truespeed in there the truck will still operate only at default settings.

Thanks Guys

What should i expect from this upgrade/mod?

I just finished replacing it, but the truck is still undrivable for a day or 2 and i am antsy! :D

THanks

landtank said:
If that's the case then Robbie is wrong. While the speedometer is used to enhance the drive-ability of the vehicle it's not a critical element. If you were to loose your speedometer whether or not there was a truespeed in there the truck will still operate only at default settings.

What is Robbie calling himself now, something with the word snow in it?

loquito said:
What is Robbie calling himself now, something with the word snow in it?

Powderpig

hoser try to find a local shop that works on speedometers and check with them.

I ended up going with the Truspeed Calibrator. You can find them new on eBay for $125-135 or so. Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom