1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedometer Cable

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Chrunchk, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Chrunchk

Chrunchk

'88 - FJ62

Just installed a new CD/MP3 player. In the process of removing the instrument panel the speedometer cable came unplugged from the gauge. Tried to re-insert, but it isn't long enough to get it plugged in AND have my hand in there at the same time. Couldn't find a good place to come from underneath either.

Any suggestions?

I searched the forums and did find something about there being some more slack in the cable. It seems like I've taken all the slack I can. Is there more I can gain without disconnecting something else? Maybe re-route the cable?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. polarweasel

polarweasel Where's mah cruzah?

Pull harder? I know on my parts rig, there was quite a lot of speedo cable to pull out with a bit of tugging...

3. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

The cable doesn't have much slack...as you noted. One option is to remove the other end (which is connected to the transfer case) and pull enough cable into the dash to connect to the speedo. Reinstall the dash, then pull the cable back down enough to reconnect it to the transfer case.

4. Cantinero

Cantinero Yo soy un pirata!

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree with lovetoski. It would be much easier to reattach at the transfer case then the dash.

5. mpetersrx7

mpetersrx7

I actually remove the plastic piece underneathe the steering column for routing the a/c air, and then remove the two bolts which hold the steering column to the dash. You can then get your hand back there to connect the cable.

Mark

6. Chrunchk

Chrunchk

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have felt for slack from the other end and it didn't seem like it was giving that way much either. I'll give it a try again tonight; there might be a clip that's holding it back. Either way it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks again everyone.

7. Texx

Texx

Physically pull the entire guage cluster toward you until it's no longer perched in the hole at the bottom, but sitting on the steering column. pull like hell on the cable (you won't hurt it), plug in, reinstall.

8. dogboy2

dogboy2

how small are your hands?

I had luck reconnecting the cable to the back of the speedo housing simply by removing the plastic HVAC duct pipe from beneath the steering column, reaching up from behind through the hole granted by removing the duct work, grabbing the back of the cable housing and pushing the instrument cluster fully into its seated position. Once seated, the speedo cable has just enough (barely) length to reach the back of the cluster. Two handed operation: one up from underneath and behind the speedo, the other pushing and holding the instrument cluster in place from the opposite side.

hth,
    -dogboy- '87 FJ60