Speedometer Cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'88 - FJ62

Just installed a new CD/MP3 player. In the process of removing the instrument panel the speedometer cable came unplugged from the gauge. Tried to re-insert, but it isn't long enough to get it plugged in AND have my hand in there at the same time. Couldn't find a good place to come from underneath either.

Any suggestions?

I searched the forums and did find something about there being some more slack in the cable. It seems like I've taken all the slack I can. Is there more I can gain without disconnecting something else? Maybe re-route the cable?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Pull harder? I know on my parts rig, there was quite a lot of speedo cable to pull out with a bit of tugging...

The cable doesn't have much slack...as you noted. One option is to remove the other end (which is connected to the transfer case) and pull enough cable into the dash to connect to the speedo. Reinstall the dash, then pull the cable back down enough to reconnect it to the transfer case.

I agree with lovetoski. It would be much easier to reattach at the transfer case then the dash.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have felt for slack from the other end and it didn't seem like it was giving that way much either. I'll give it a try again tonight; there might be a clip that's holding it back. Either way it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks again everyone.

Physically pull the entire guage cluster toward you until it's no longer perched in the hole at the bottom, but sitting on the steering column. pull like hell on the cable (you won't hurt it), plug in, reinstall.

how small are your hands?

I had luck reconnecting the cable to the back of the speedo housing simply by removing the plastic HVAC duct pipe from beneath the steering column, reaching up from behind through the hole granted by removing the duct work, grabbing the back of the cable housing and pushing the instrument cluster fully into its seated position. Once seated, the speedo cable has just enough (barely) length to reach the back of the cluster. Two handed operation: one up from underneath and behind the speedo, the other pushing and holding the instrument cluster in place from the opposite side.

hth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom