Speedometer Cable Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi friends,

Looking for some guidance on what I might be missing with an OEM speedometer cable install on my 62.

Shortly into a drive my speedometer and odometer stopped working. Disconnected the dash and found the cable was connected, so I went underneath to find the cable had pulled and coiled itself out of the original sheath/insulation:

IMG_0437.jpeg

This clearly seemed to be the problem, so I ordered an OEM replacement and installed it last night. Connected the cable to the instrument panel and ran underneath to the same connection. Looks a lot better, however my speedometer/odo is still unresponsive after a test drive.

I've read a few threads on replacing the cable and I've seen mention of the bolt next to the cable:
IMG_0440.jpeg

I loosened that bolt up before connecting the new cable up and then tightened it back, but I didn't feel like it made a difference.

I double checked and the cable is firmly connected to both the case below and the instrument back panel above.

Is this bolt key to "locking" it in place somehow? The truck is behaving as if I made no change to the cable. What else am I missing?

It looks like that nut is supposed to have a little keeper washer underneath it. I can't find it in the parts diagram though. This is from the service manual.

1593023728902.png

Might have to pull that assembly/housing apart and take a look at what's inside. Maybe the internal speedometer gear is messed up or even missing.
it's pretty easy

I suppose if you didn't have the locking plate installed and the cable fell out, then maybe also the speedometer gear also fell out. good luck.

This is for a hj, but all seem the same, count the teeth:
16x6 gear:
GEAR SUB-ASSY, SPEEDOMETER DRIVEN (MTM)
33403-69075
FJ6*, HJ6*..MTM..CBU, 歯数=16,マーク 16:6, N=16, MARK:16X6
$35.11
2_f8e2a2251aeefedb315621fa63c59ce7.jpg

worn out:

2_9c260f1a741c2a03c097364a7bac66d5.jpg

2_3a7c606587850d2ca26cdb0dd9f362be.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I am doing a FJ60 rebuild and got all together then realized I forgot the speedometer cable. I am trying to figure out the original routing. Where does the round rubber grommet penetrate the body? I don't see a round hole that looks like that. I may have used the hole to pass other cables without realizing it. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom