Speedo Ticking noise - 79' FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well i finished doing both output seals on the Transfer case (79 Fj40 one piece) and rebuilt the park brake hub... tried to be so careful about keeping thing clean on reassemble (to reduce the chance of leaks). back together and running now. first drive, all good. only about 15min and then now at about 20km/h and 'mostly' all the time i'm getting a tick about every 2sec and a jump on the speedo needle when the tick happens... odometer stops rotating as well. which i assume is why it is ticking but not always.
when i reassembled the park brake housing can i mess up the speedo end of the cable that goes into the speedo gauge itself? i never even considered that.

so far I’ve got this resolved. The ticking is from the small white worm gear not turning and seemed to be getting jammed. My fix so far was to put a small piece of gasket material between the metal end plate And the plastic housing.

5D5D452C-7355-4615-9BDF-519D7EAAFD31.jpeg

That gear may have a flat spot. If your odometer is stuck the 2 gears toward the back will eventually eat each other up.

I have some spares if you need one.

Awesome! Yes the white longer worm gear does look like the teeth are getting thinner.

any chance those worm gears are available? The longest one seems to be the problem. I can see one of the points is wearing thin.

D9CFDC51-A760-41A7-B8E9-0531A636274C.jpeg

Out here in South Africa a late model (50A ammeter in KPH) speedo cluster costs around AU$220. For this money and seeing as yours is worn, I would just buy the new one and either swop the whole cluster or just the relevant worn speedo cluster unit and be done with it. The end play you have will be bothersome and your odo gears are likely sticky, hence the jumping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom