speedo questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
So got this 1976 fj40 cruiser, pulled the cluster to fix the lights so I could see at night, hooked the speedo cable back up. no joy. Pulled it, tested the speedo witha square drive bit. speedo happy. Figured I'd not put cable back on correctly. Re mounted it, took the time to make sure it lined up and seated all the way

Still no Joy.

Brother who gave me cruise said it worked before I "fixed it" Thought maybe I'd pulled the other end loose, but it looks like it screws on at the far end. from looking at the "buy a new one" pages.

Anyone got pics of where it's at on a the transmission end? I can't say I've ever seen that end of a speedo cable before.

Only other option I can think of is to take the cluster back off, put a piece of blue tab on the square bit in the middle and see if it turns when I drive it around.

Any other ideas on how to diagnose it appreciated.

Thanks,

Cal-

Either the cable or gear in the t-case are likely broken. The lower end is easier to pull... I'd pull the lower end and inspect both.

It's likely the gears at the rear of the transfer case are to blame. My speedo quit working and I did the same thing to validate. I placed a drill on the end of the cable and ran it backward to verify it registered at the dash.

One way I validated mine was to make sure the gear at the transfer case was turning. Unscrew the speedo cable at the transfer. Disconnect the rear driveline. Start the engine and put it in gear. The rear output shaft will spin and you can then crawl under and witness if the speed gear is turning.

Good Stuff, Thanks!

Cal-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom