Speedo housing sealant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
79' FJ40 ... replacing the leaking rear output seal along with huge clean up of the ebrake assembly, most likely replacing some of those parts. i've removed the speedo housing as well for a much needed clean.
should i use a gasket type sealant between housing and t-case or/and a thin gasket plus sealant??

Yes, smear a little FIPG 1281 (red) or equivalent on both sides of the paper gasket. I just did mine and replaced the bolts with allen bolts 8x1.25 (found at hardware store) the seal is a 494122 at the local auto store according to Georg (@orangefj45) of Valley Hybrids who sells an updated kit for the items mentioned.

I wasn't going to replace the OEM bolts but it was a pain to get one of the 4 bolts out but for the future and ease of maintenance I replaced them.

We typically use Loctite Formula 518 anaerobic sealant on both sides of the gasket and on the bolt threads.
We apply a small amount of FIPG to the outside of the Speedo bullet I-ring to help it slide into the rear extension housing and insure a good seal.
We ALWAYS replace the 4 bolts that hold the ebrake backing plate on with a set of allen head bolts. Make sure to get the proper length. Too long and they’ll bottom out. PITA to extract.
The seal part number mentioned above is for the dual-seal housing.
I’d highly recommend an OEM rear seal ( for I modified rear extension housings ) and stake nut.
Apply some FIPG to the output shaft splines before installing the ebrake drum to avoid oil leaking thru the splines.

Hope that helps.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Thank you both for the comments... so it is a paper gasket that goes in there? mine had nothing there other than some sealant of some variety... and what looks like some left over gasket bits but almost glued in-place.

We typically use Loctite Formula 518 anaerobic sealant on both sides of the gasket and on the bolt threads.
We apply a small amount of FIPG to the outside of the Speedo bullet I-ring to help it slide into the rear extension housing and insure a good seal.
We ALWAYS replace the 4 bolts that hold the ebrake backing plate on with a set of allen head bolts. Make sure to get the proper length. Too long and they’ll bottom out. PITA to extract.
The seal part number mentioned above is for the dual-seal housing.
I’d highly recommend an OEM rear seal ( for I modified rear extension housings ) and stake nut.
Apply some FIPG to the output shaft splines before installing the ebrake drum to avoid oil leaking thru the splines.

Hope that helps.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
is anaerobic sealing without requiring air to cure? I think Permatex makes a 515 as well.

too worn? looks worse than it feels… but it is there nonetheless.
F07FF12F-1E59-4641-86EF-E3B5426666BF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom