Speedo drive gear... does this look right to you?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a pic of the speedo drive gear in my '87 FJ60. Notice how the sides of the gear are concave. Could this be why my speedo isnt working? I have pulled the cable and it looks fine.

If the drive gear looks like this, would it stand to reason that the internal gear in the Tcase is worn out too? Or will simply replacing this gear fix the problem?

By the way does anyone have a good one laying about that they are willing to part with?

Thanks, Hodag

Last edited:
Mine looked like that after my A440F got a little too hot on the freeway, and after 296,000 miles. My speedo also stopped working and a new gear cured it. The gear it meshes with is metal so I think the plastic one would be the only one that wares. I don't remember it being that expensive from Toyota.

Roached. Start over w/new, problem solved.

1. gear inside xfer is metal.

2. go to Toyota dealership ( or C-Dan) and get new one
a wallet-busting 25ish bucks . . .

( did mine about 5,000 miles ago)

Note, replacement part will come with baggie of extra stuff you may not need (o-rings, felt gasket and piddle poor instructions) : pay attention to how your's came apart.

Order from Toyota and have them include the sleeve. It comes with the new seal and o-ring already installed and costs only $15. Then you have 2 brand new parts working together and you should get another 20 years out of it.

Thanks guys, I just sent a PM to Cdan at American Toyota. Hopefully will have a working speedo soon, then I can check how scary my MPG is.

Hodag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom