speedo disassembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can anyone tell me how the speedo assembly comes apart? I have the cluster out of the dash and the speedo part out of the cluster, but can't see how to get the speedo needle off the speedo shaft. I'm assuming I need to do that so I can remove the face plate with the mph #'s, then get at the rest of the speedo assembly.

once there, I want to remove the odometer wheels in order to free them up. How does that come out? Looks to me like there's a spring loaded pin that sits perpendicular at one end of the shaft the odometer wheels are on and that rest in a goove on that shaft holding it in place. Looks like that whole shaft should slide a little then pop out, but the spring pin doesn't seem to move to release it.

Any tricks on this stuff? 79 fj40 in case it matters...

thanks

Needle pulls right off the shaft...

just pull 'til it comes off? promise?

how about the odo wheels/shaft part?

Cannot remember man...1988 was the last time that I messed with one, and then passed it off to Lemon, and he dialed it back to zero...

Perhaps he, or someone will post up...I do not remember him cussing a whole lot, so it cannot be that tough... ;)

:beer:

here's what I'm talking about on the odo wheels/shaft... see the vertical pin to the right of the gear on the right, and the groove it rides in on the odo shaft?

looks like that thing should push away from the camera and the odo wheels/shaft should slide to the left and pop out.

thanks all
DSC03562 (Small).JPG

never mind - got it

once the face plate is out of the way you can see that pin is not spring loaded, rather it's a little roll pin that you just pull up and out then the odo assbly comes right out.
DSC03567 (Small).JPG
DSC03568 (Small).JPG

There are tiny cogs between each of the numbered rollers on the sleeve, and if you take the time to grease those up, while you've got it this far, you will DEFINITELY increase the longevity of the unit. ;)

mark - I was thinking I'd use graphite, but you'd recommend a light grease instead?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom