Speedo cable grommet.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seriously what's the trick? The grommet for the floor is killing me. I tried grease no grease, all kinds of tools.. i just can not get it to sit correctly. It either tries to slide up into the cab or just slides back down. It slide into the cab for a second time and i called it a night and turned to the mud gods..

Really wish I checked the gear in the transfer case first seeing how that's the problem and not the cable.. :bang:

Guess i found out the hard way.

Fought mine a few different ways but finally got it to seat by:
1. Pull out lower air ducts
2. Push as much of the grommet in as you can
3. Use a dental pick, place it in the groove of the grommet and push around the edges until it seats. It’ll pop through the floor once or twice but eventually I beat it into submission.

I previously tried string, lube etc. the pick saved me.

i used a whole tube of astroglide - and a flat blade screw driver and stuffed it like i do with my wifes....

uh...did i say that? scratch that - sorry...had a beavis and butthead moment.

a little grease and it should slide in easily enough. you might get it most the way just by hand...then press the last little bit with a flat blade or a pick.

Haha @Paul DiNapoli that just made me laugh pretty good..

Ill be taking another wack at it again tommorow using these tips.. (minus the astroglide)

I just can not get it started seems almost too big.. i may try the new grommet that was on the speedo cable i bought.

Hmm i just replaced the one on my 62 i used wd40 also removed the lower air duct and i have a flat head screw driver that has been rounded off so its not sharp poped right in

So i was out of town since the last time i tried. But got to take another shot at it tonight. Had no luck again.. this is seriously frustrating. I'm about to just let it ride without the grommet. I tried from the top with the vents removed and the bottom zero luck.

Its like the grommet is the wrong size, everytime i try to get it started it just folds in half and tries to slide through the hole.

Finally got this grommet in.. it kicked my ass 3 times where i gave up.. but got it today.. here a pic to show you how crammed it is on a right hand drive cruiser.. anyways thanks to everyone for the tips.. wd40 did the trick for lube.. and removing the lower vents was a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom