speedo cable for SBC/NV4500 to FJ55 gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it took two years but swapped out an old/blown SBC and put in a new SBC crate engine plus a brand new NV4500 5-speed tranny.

2 quick questions:

- dang that first gear is short...i can usually just start in 2nd, since 1st only gets me to about 5mph. good for crawling perhaps but I'm not gonna do that. Suggestions on how to adjust gear ratios? or , adjust/change t-case?

- the old speedo cable wont even reach anymore. suggestions on part/source for a cable that'll reach and fit both ends?

TIA

Try re-routing the speedo cable, my original reached on my 40 with SBC, NV4500 with AA to original transfer case from 3 SPD.

Just start in second because changing gears in the trans or transfer case is no fun if doable at all.

The NV4500 isn't designed to use 1st gear off the line. You start off in 2nd. 2nd gear in a NV4500 is near identical to 1st in an H42.

For your speedometer cable, if its close, you can install a Trail Gear speedometer extension cable. I just installed one to connect my factory 1971 speedometer cable to my FJ60 split case.

Try re-routing the speedo cable, my original reached on my 40 with SBC, NV4500 with AA to original transfer case from 3 SPD.

Just start in second because changing gears in the trans or transfer case is no fun if doable at all.
thanks for discouraging more mechanical work...i've had enough.
As others note, you don't start in 1st gear of an NV4500. It is more of a 'tow' gear or an offroad gear. I don't have any issue starting in 2nd with the NV4500 in my FJ55. Granted, 6.0L so a bit better of an engine but shouldn't be a problem. I also never had an issue with the SM465(ie no OD NV4500) using a 5.0L TBI and 35" tires in an old FJ40.

What year is your FJ55? If it was an older version(ie three speed tranny), you could potentially swap to a 4 speed. I forget when the speedo changed style(clip vs threaded).
'73 FJ55 with brand new NV4500 just installed...NOT taking it out! will skip the granny gear and start in 2nd.

thanks to all above

speedo cable is way too short to reroute...gonna buy a loooong one

Last edited:
When I needed a new cable, I took mine to a speedometer shop and they built a new cable. Do they still have speedo shops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom