Speedmarker reinstall?

I'm building back my '76 FJ40, and I question whether there are pros and cons to installing the original speedmarker that was mounted on the firewall. (Pic below) It uses a 2 piece speedo cable and I need to replace the cable.

I would rather get a single cable to run directly to the speedo without the speedmarker in between.

What exactly is a speedmarker? Does it provide an electrical signal to other components? I read where it provides an alternate means of determining how many miles are on the truck, which I really don't care about.

Also below are a few build pics. I know it's not a purist paint color, but it is Toyota Lunar Rock.

Thanks!

unnamed.jpg

IMG-7286.jpg

IMG-7365.jpg

IMG-7280.jpg

IMG-7369.jpg

It's just another odometer inside and isn't crucial to any electrical components I'm aware of. Left mine on anyway last time I replaced the speedometer cable.
Your 40 looks great so far, love that gray.

Since I am a purist, I would restore it and have it function. Also, I believe the second odometer was reference for maintenance intervals. A piece of history. The very least I would go single cable and still restore the unit and keep it.

brian

SILVER Star
Website
www.facebook.com
there is a paw inside that trips a switch every 50k(?) miles, that illuminates the egr service light.
nothing wrong with running it, if you can find decent cables....i got tired of replacing $or one pc cables every 9months.

2F2022.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom