Speedi sleeve semi floating rear axle shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi wordlwide team,

usually I'm in the 60's region next door - but the question is actually about a 40...

A friend of mine has a leaking fj45 semi floating rear axle - he knows that the oil seal running face is not great. I'm planning to repair that face with a speedi sleeve.
I have done that before on other applications - but all my trucks had and have FF axles so nothing to measure here...
Has anybody of you the required dia. for the sleeve at hand ? I believe that the oil seals are the same for 40 55 and 60's so the dia. should be the same as the 60 one.
Like this I could get the sleeve before removing the shaft.

Hi wordlwide team,

usually I'm in the 60's region next door - but the question is actually about a 40...

A friend of mine has a leaking fj45 semi floating rear axle - he knows that the oil seal running face is not great. I'm planning to repair that face with a speedi sleeve.
I have done that before on other applications - but all my trucks had and have FF axles so nothing to measure here...
Has anybody of you the required dia. for the sleeve at hand ? I believe that the oil seals are the same for 40 55 and 60's so the dia. should be the same as the 60 one.
Like this I could get the sleeve before removing the shaft.
What year? Early 40's had races pressed on the axle. Not sure what year that changed.

Thanks for your input Green Bean, I must check that. This would be a easy solution if the races are ready available here.

I believe that they changed in 08/1973, but I might be mistaken.

It's a '74 - I just checked in the parts catalogue and at least in the one I can access there is no wear ring or collar listed. I've checked '73 and '69 too.
Anyway - I'm suprised that nobody so far came up with a "yep done that, here is the dia." answer.
I posted the same in the 60's corner and got no answer either.

It has been a long time since I've been into the rear axle of my '73. One of the things I remember is that the rear axle bearing has the pressed on inner bearing race on the axle instead of just running on the axle itself. Because of this a Speedi sleeve is not an option. I believe the same would hold true for later years as well. It's a clearance thing. The oil seal rides next to the axle flange and the bearing is right next to the seal, no real room for a Speedi sleeve. It is not like a harmonic balance or the parking brake drum is the only part interfacing with the seal. Your best bet is to pull the axle and clean it as best as possible and simply replace the bad seal. If the axle is worn/gouged and would destroy a new seal then it is time for a new axle.

Hi Byron,

thanks for your thoughts - I'll check that shaft soon and see how far it is gone.

FYI: Photos of pressed on rear axle bearing races.

05.16.2022.Assembly.New Axle Races.1.jpg

05.16.2022.Assembly.2.jpg

The non-sleeved axleshafts often wear through the hardface where the bearing rides before the seals give out. And you can’t sleeve the part where the bearing rides…unless it’s the older type axle. Which is why I give my customers an option before replacing one.
1683764167394.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom