speeders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
first day of the speed cameras on the 101 and it cought 1700 speeders in one day!!! i believe the speed limit is 65 so that means 1700 ppl were going OVER 76 MPH!! what the hell??

At that rate, I am sure the reservation is now wondering why they didn't think of including speeding ticket income when they signed the easement compact for the 101.............:doh:

also, the cameras have a lot less variance than the 11 mph you mention :frown:

RHINO said:
first day of the speed cameras on the 101 and it cought 1700 speeders in one day!!! i believe the speed limit is 65 so that means 1700 ppl were going OVER 76 MPH!! what the hell??

sounds like a slow day on the 101... I get mowed over every time I drive there...

On a slightly related topic from the "Safe Car" thread where excessive speed was measured, I drove home on the 202 for ~10 miles the other night. I set my cruise control at 65 MPH. I passed absolutely NO ONE during that time, slightly gained on a large truck, and felt like a hazard on the road as people whizzed by me...

i do the same rob, set my cruise at just a little over the speed limit, typically 60 on I-17. i feel like a hazard out there.

dsrtrdr, what exactly do you mean?? the cameras are reported to be set at 11MPH over, is that false? do you know something your not telling??

there's an 11 mph over built in, so yeah, you can go 75, I wouldn't chance 76.. Also, the way the cameras are set up (3 on each side, seperated by 100s of yards in between each other) If you hit the first one overspeed and get a ticket, than the 2nd and 3rd, getting tix for all of them, it's 3 seperate violations. That's 9 points on yo liscence. KA-BLAM!!

There's supposed to be something about those photoradar tickets that they are not like an actual officer stopping you ticket. If you get one of those tickets, you can simply write in requesting they drop the ticket and it is dismissed.

I thought that sounded weird, but I was hearing it from the traffic safety school teacher when I had to attend for 8 hours for an actual officer catching me doing 89 in a 65 in Mayer.

He also showed us big printouts of pictures catching one of his friend's dually trucks running a redlight somewhere I believe in Scottsdale.

The picture clearly showed the truck, the plate, and the driver, which was the owner of the vehicle (his friend). He brought the citation to the court and requested it be dismissed stating "he did not know who was driving, but that was not him." Case dismissed.

On another forum I am on for Mazda Rx7s...there are CONSTANTLY people posting about just getting a ticket and asking for advice (as if we're all lawyers)...

Anyways, everyone is pointed to a website called "TICKETASSASSIN.COM".

It basically gives you templates of legal wordage letters to send in and have your case dismissed without ever going to court.

Every single one of those threads resulted in people responding with "OMG IT WORKED!" and this is for states all across the country. If I ever get one of those, or any other moving violations, I'm going to use that site.

I have rec'd 2 photo radar tickets in the past. Both were tossed out and forgotten about. No charges have ever been brought against me and the last time I was in court I didn' get tossed in the clink. Do not respond if sent a citation by mail and nothing will happen to you... PERIOD. If the city does not serve you in person there was no citation. The US mail is not 100% accurate. When the federal govt has a built in failure rate for their own agency you can't be held legally responsible.

I second that, been 'cited' twice, never responded, no further issues.

-Spike

-Spike- said:
I second that, been 'cited' twice, never responded, no further issues.

-Spike

And you are sure there isn't a warrant out for your arrest? It would be a bummer to find out there was the hard way.

Jared

Last edited:
But it racks up fees and interest, and as soon as they have a valid address for you (like you registered another vehicle or got another ticket) they all mysteriously appear and there is no statue of limitations (ask me how I know :frown:). They CAN deny vehicle registration or license renewal on this basis (don't know if they ever really do this, but AZ MVD confirmed this to me), and at some point, collection agencies enter the picture (BTDT). Only good news here is, do not pay the collection agency, they tack on extra fees; pay the city or county direct.

Maybe not in AZ, but here in NE, you cannot get a driver license if there are ANY outstanding tickets in ANY other state, and they have those right in their computer. Evidently, been there, done that ;p ($10 parking ticket from a college campus in RI came back to haunt me some 4 years later).

You would never get away with anything like this in Germany, they've had interagency data sharing even before computers; but it is scary to watch how much more networked the surveillance agencies in the US are these days compared to when I came to this country 18 years ago. Domestic spying anyone?

sjpitts said:
And you are sure there isn't a warrant out for your arrest? It would be a bummer to find out there was the hard way.

Jared

I have no warrants after two "lost" citations. Confirmed this with my last checkin at court in November. Will have to do some more reading.

-You would never get away with anything like this in Germany, they've had interagency data sharing even before computers; but it is scary to watch how much more networked the surveillance agencies in the US are these days compared to when I came to this country 18 years ago. Domestic spying anyone?-

Thank you, Patriot Act!

I've heard Germany is hardcore for traffic laws. I believe that it is mandatory to carry a camera in the vehicle in case of an accident. Drivers are required to take pictures as evidence in case of a court hearing. Claudia?

I'm positive there are no warrants- I checked on MCSO's website recently. Also, this is over a period of years, the most recent about a year and a half, the other almost 7 years ago, and I'm not a transient. I have 4 vehicles currently registered in my name, at my house. I've purchased and registered 2 of those since the second ticket, and still own the second vehicle that I was photo'ed in. I've been to court and traffic school (for speeding- caught by a bona-fide officer) at least twice (once in the same juristiction, Scottsdale) since the first photo ticket, so it's not like they haven't had opportunities to catch up with me.

It's my understanding that unless they serve you in person, they can't do jack. The media has probably been asked not to mention this, although I have found references to it in less main-stream publications like the New Times. Of course, I've heard horror stories about process servers leaving the notification on your lawn and 'swearing' (literally) that you were served personally, and of course the court believes the process server.

Regular tickets will haunt you forever. I know you can't ignore parking or speeding tickets without having trouble down the line. You used to be able to ignore tickets from other cities, counties, and states, but nowadays most of them are linked together on some database.

-Spike

BMAN said:
I've heard Germany is hardcore for traffic laws. I believe that it is mandatory to carry a camera in the vehicle in case of an accident. Drivers are required to take pictures as evidence in case of a court hearing. Claudia?

No, camera is not madatory. But police are getting so busy that they may not come to fender benders anymore, and it's the insurance companies that are giving people headaches in questioning the claims.

Hardcore, yes, because everything is written into hard law, no case law as in the US. Precendent or prior opinions don't count. Also, there are no temporary licences or such, licence gone is gone - you walk, bike or take the bus. 3 points - gone (that is ONE RED LIGHT, not that I want to excuse anyone running lights, just as reference). How long you are out is dependent on severity of the offense, but the good news is that it does not automatically jack up your insurance rate if there is no damage associated with it.

Insurance has a more sophisticated grading system there, you start out real high but for every year you did not have an accident (they don't count claims you were not at fault for), you get a deeper discount. You can get down to lower than half the usual rate, and that is transferable to family members within reason and at the discretion of the insurance broker. Overall, insurance is higher, though, because they specify repairs by dealer shops and with OEM parts, and because many more accidents involve pedestrians or bicycle riders and their medical costs.

Coming back to the original topic: Speeding is mucho expensive in Germany, the fines run into the hundreds of Euros, even for just 10 kmh over............ When I had a REAL fast car over there, I decided to take advantage of the stretches of Autobahn without a limit and keep to the limit religiously when posted. The rental cars I drive over there these days usually won't go that fast, anyway...........Plus, they can pull you over for anything, without reason, they can be in unmarked regular cars, and speed traps are really hidden, not in plain sight as here in the US.

But, remember, in Germany there's SPEEDING, and then there's SPEED...

There's nothing better than having a fast car and being on the Autobahn alone at night, and you put the hammer down as far as it goes and keep it there...:cool: :cool: :cool:

Typically, there are some speed limits on the Autobahn in the vicinity of big cities, essentially because of too much traffic. But I think it was no accident that when Parliament was still in Bonn, the stretch of Autobahn to the next big city Cologne did NOT have a speed limit...........

Michael used to have some friends that set cruise at 135mph...

Even elections got caught up in the mix, we once had a slogan that read 'Free Driving for Free Citizens' ...ahem, the party for speed limits didn't win...

I am not a lawyer (thank God), but you do have the right to face the person accusing you in the US, for photar, this is impossible. This is why photar to my knowledge can not be used toward points on your record, and paying the $ is not an admission of guilt.

Thus I'm sure you can fight the legal battle at any point and have each ticket nullified, but you will pay more doing that than you will paying the ticket. It's about revenue, NOT safety.

Personally, I feel like Valley drivers are the second slowest drivers in the US after Florida, but apparently from the other responses I have issues. I regularly comment to myself how not a person on 101 has anywhere to be and all the time to get there; I commute at all hours on the 101...

like I said, wanna keep it to the "free" sections of the Autobahn.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom