SpeedAire v. Ranger compressors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT: You can disregard. Putting in 3-phase would be WAAAAAAY expensive, so I'm going to wait for the Ranger (the Speedaire doesn't come in single-phase :confused: . Still be interested if anyone has experience with the Ranger...

Anyone with experince with either of these brand? Biggest duty I'll put on them is running a sandblast cabinet and some painting.

I was sold on the Ranger (http://www.asedeals.com/air_compressors.html Model R7580H-601 about 1/2 way down the page), but they are back-ordered indefinately (been waiting about 9 months already).

I'm now looking at a SpeedAire from Grainger (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1613497422&ccitem=), provided I can get 3-phase hook-up (which I should)

the ranger is 7.5hp v. 5hp for the Speedaire, Ranger puts out a bit more air (18.9 v. 16.5 @ 175psi).

The speedaire has the benefits of a much lower RPM (760 v. 1150 for the Ranger) so it'll be quieter and last longer, AND I could have one immediately.

Prices are pretty close, the Ranger about $100 cheaper even with shipping. Both are cast iron etc.

Anyone have experience with either of these brands?

Last edited:
I really want to get a horizontal tank to put it in some currently unused space underneath some stairs (with good airflow, don't worry..). A big vertical one would be more of a pain for me to locate out of the way.

The Ranger may realistically be ready by mid-November. I'm going to wait and see. I can't find that combo of amazing air output, iron contruction, low RPM's and PRICE anywhere :eek:

Soul_Man said:
I really want to get a horizontal tank to put it in some currently unused space underneath some stairs (with good airflow, don't worry..). A big vertical one would be more of a pain for me to locate out of the way.

The Ranger may realistically be ready by mid-November. I'm going to wait and see. I can't find that combo of amazing air output, iron contruction, low RPM's and PRICE anywhere :eek:

Have a look here: http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

Honk, that Eaton looks really good. I'm going to contact them for shipping costs etc. Thanks.

Well, I guess I would be slightly biased (I have worked for grainger for 11yrs now part-time)but something to consider would be warranty, and parts availability. Also, always nice to have an in-town face to deal with. We sell a load of the speedaire, more than Ingersol for sure, never heard of the Ranger. It looks like they have us on the initial warranty, but we have the secret squirrel extended warranty that goes out 3yrs!

Anywho, who do you work for? I can pull your acc't and see what your pricing structure is.

Also, down the road motor/pump replacement is easy as hell with us, usually in house stuff. I am not knocking the other stuff though. Plenty of good compressors out there, I sent a friend somewhere else last week because I knew we could never touch another brand for the price.

If I can help drop a line,

Scott

ff347, the only problem (actually, the only reason I haven't purchased the SpeedAire from Grainger) is the model I want (horizontal tank) only comes in a 3-phase motor. I only have single-phase power. If they had that model in single phase, I'd buy it. They don't online, and I looked all through the catalog at my local Grainger and they only had it in 3-phase. :-(

Soul- if your still looking?

Stationary Air Compressor, 2 Stage, Motor Running HP 5, Free Air CFM @Max Pressure 15.5, Max PSI 175, Voltage @60 Hz 230, 1 Phase, Amps 22.0, Tank 60 Gal, Vertical, FNPT Outlet 1/2 In, Pump Type Cast Iron, Splash Lubrication, Pump Oil Capacity 43 Oz, Duty Cycle Continuous, RPM 1475, Contains ASME Tank with Manual Drain and Discharge Isolation Valve, Length 20 In, Width 30 In, Height 71 In, Includes Factory Mounted and Wired Motor Starter Grainger Item # 4VU18
Price (ea.) $989.10

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom