Speed sensor help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm looking for a little help and advice on a project that I'm working on. I've got a 93 4 door sidekick that I've just finished putting a full Toyota drive train in: '07 FJ 4.0 v6 with 6 speed manual, dual gear drive transfer cases and mini truck live axles. All is done and works well but I'm getting an error code from the stock ECM that is looking for a speed sensor input. I have found speed sensors that will go on the transfer case from Inchworm/Marlin but they don't allow for a speedometer cable to be used with them and I want to keep my stock speedo working which needs a cable. From the advice I've gotten from others and the research that I've done on my own I think that the speed sensor that came on FJ80's with cruise control would work. From what I can tell it will mount to my transfer case and has allowances for the speedometer cable to attach on the other side of it. Do any of you Toyota gurus know for sure that this will produce the signal that my '07 FJ ECM is looking for? Do any of you have a used one that you would be willing to part with? Do you know the part number or year range that this part came off of so I could go to Toyota and order one? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

91-92 is what you're looking for. Mechanical speedo cable passes through an electronic speed sensor who's only function is for the cruise control.

DSC00116.jpg

so you have a FJ v6 but are not using the FJ transfer case? The FJ TC is chain drive the 80 is gear driven. What TC are you using.

I have the gear driven transfer cases out of the early pickups and 4-runners, the ones that can be doubled fairly easily.

CJF: Thanks for posting the picture of the speed sensor, that looks like it will work great, is there any chance that you know if it will work for sure with the FJ ECM?

Thanks again!!

Thanks for posting the picture of the speed sensor, that looks like it will work great, is there any chance that you know if it will work for sure with the FJ ECM?

Absolutely no idea, unfortunately. :lol:

I do know it sends out four pulsations per rotation, if that's any help.

Please do try to follow up and let us know whether or not it works; it's always nice to expand the body of knowledge around here.

Cheers,

Curtis

OK, sounds good!! From what I've researched I'm looking for 4 pulse sine wave per rev, sounds like this might be the hot ticket!!! Any advice on where to get deals or used ones? I've emailed a few toyota wrecking yards I've found online but all for not. Inchworm has one they will sell for $160, not sure what Toyota wants from the dealership yet.

Thanks again!!

OK, sounds good!! From what I've researched I'm looking for 4 pulse sine wave per rev, sounds like this might be the hot ticket!!! Any advice on where to get deals or used ones? I've emailed a few toyota wrecking yards I've found online but all for not. Inchworm has one they will sell for $160, not sure what Toyota wants from the dealership yet.

Thanks again!!

New from a supporting vendor should be right around $100.

I'd go with that rather than used, as they often get fouled with gear oil. (That's why I was replacing mine.)

Cheers again,

Curtis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom