1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed addiction. Not worth the trouble.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dmaddox, Aug 23, 2006.

1. dmaddox

dmaddox

Albums:
    Well, looks like I am going to be picking up another cruiser. Why? Well - you can never NOT own one after having been into them. AND - im tired of the law.

I took some time off of land cruiser world to build what started off as a "fun - fuel effiecnt - daily driver Jetta.

Well, I have created a monster - and if you push the gas, you speed.

Funny thing is I came home from work the other day and there was a special on discovery channel about speed addiction. No, not the drug, actually speeding. It effects the same node in your brain that Opiates (heroin) does. When you speed you get a rush. This sensation causes slight numbing of the limbs and an increased heart rate.

That rush is addictive becuase it realeases the same messages from the brain as the highly addictive opiate family.

Well, I guess I am hooked.

I put a GT2871R turbo (big ol thing - capable of 550hp) on a 1.8 liter VW motor. Using my "Cruiser Skills" I fabricated out of 2" exhaust pipe a very cospecticaly pleaseing intercooler piping system, and had color matched to the car. Exhaust, race injectors, custom Revo tuning, and BAM, 310 wheel horsepower out of 1.8 liters, consistently and safely.

At 4k rpms (redline 7500) it feels like you got rear-ended in traffic. WHAM the boost hits and you are ......gone. Needless to say, it's really really fun. 25 pounds of boost it's set at, and through 2nd gear at 25 psi - wow. According to my brothers turbo timer - it ran a 13.2 quarter at 102mph. Not bad for what looks stock on the outside, and at this elevation (Colorado).

In 3 months I have gotten one ticket. I think it's time to turn the boost wayyyy down and just use it for what I intended it to do.

Anyway - just though I'd post - that I am looking at picking up a 40 this week (waiting on the call to go look at it).

I have never had the speed issue in a 40. Me sitting in an fj40 is like putting me in rehab or something, ha ha ha.

Anyway, hello again everyone :)

ragman (Dallas)

2. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
    I hear ya. I'm a bit of a leadfoot myself, purchasing zippy cars that encourage my behavior. My 40 with the good old 1F is way too loud a leadfoot speeds, so I have to keep it in check. It's going to be difficult, especially when merging on the DC beltway.

3. TEPUI

TEPUI

Some wheeling situations have the same effect on me. I am sure you can relate ;)

4. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome back, brutha...

5. -Spike-

-Spike-

I wheel so I don't speed. Had some fast cars in my younger years, and lost my license for many of those years. Even my FJ40 had a sbc 350. Now I get my thrills by thinking I'm gonna die at less than a mile an hour- and rarely put anyone else at risk.

-Spike

6. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

don't worry, just drive it another 3 months, and the engine will blow up anyway :D

7. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    exactly the reason I don't have one of these anymore.....

100 mph got to be 'cruising speed' and was boring. :eek:

8. cary

cary

I have really bad self control, that is why the 80 is a great vehicle for me. Heck, even with the 80, I'm still constantly bitching for people to get out of the left lane.

9. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

10. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like a cool show, makes a lot of sence too. That speed rush/numbing of the limbs and increased heart rate feels really good and it doesn't burn brain cells, sounds safer than a lot of other options. I unfortunately rarely ever get that rush(trail/off road sports don't seem to involve too much speed), maybe when skiing or on a motorcycle.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">