1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speculation on accelaration problem

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by FatDaddy218, Jul 22, 2005.

1. FatDaddy218

FatDaddy218

I am having an interesting issue regarding accelaration. Just past coupla days as I'm going along 1500rpm or so and go to give it a little gas- pedal just goes down no response. It doesn't sputter when this happens just drops out for a second or two and if I hold steady it will kick back in or if I STOMP or pump it, may jump to respond. A new fan clutch is on its way but don't think thats related. Does this when A/C is on or off. Has done this once or twice per daily trip around town past 3-4 days. Oil is clean, sent some off to blackstone for good measure and put in Redline fuel system cleaner. Any other thoughts??

2. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

How does your accelerater cable look? It winds around the engine and the casing can dry out and crack causing acceleration problems.

3. FatDaddy218

FatDaddy218

Will check this out-has the feel of clogged fuel injection, but didn't think it would feel this bad all at once. Can accel. cable/casing be accessed/replaced easily?

4. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Fatdaddy, i know just what you speak of. My rig does the same lately. I think it's a combination of the computer retarding the timing due to spark knock and i think there is an increase in spark knock due to the hot/humid air. It's been 95 here in NC lately.

5. FatDaddy218

FatDaddy218

Glad to hear this as a possibility it makes me want to floor it down the I-40 and get it outta the system. Of course since my fan clutch as is could hardly tear a wet paper bag when warmed up and turning I don't want to do that either. I am on the slippery slope of cascading trips to the advanced auto, Cdan, furious reading, hand wringing, hell its Friday afternoon time for some beer to fix this problem. Thanks for the info and advice though the more the merrier-