Spector Offroad 4" Lift Kit - Any One use This? Any Good/Bad Reviews? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,
MY PO installed their 2" lift kit on my 74 FJ40. Overall I'm pretty happy with the setup - but am considering going 2" taller. My truck is pretty stock other than the SBC 305 (SUA).
To upgrade to this 4" lift, it will cost me around 400$ in parts. My truck is a weekend warrior. So with this lift I am hoping to get some 35" tires.
For those who have used SOR's lift kit, please post your reviews - good and bad comments are appreciated!

Thanks Everyone!
1591895488985.png

BTW, before I get this lift - power steering is my next mod.

1591895364598.png

1591895365869.png

1591895439668.png

When they say 2.5” longer than stock that amounts to 1.25” added height

The rest of the 4” lift is from the springs

A 4” longer than stock shackle will give you 2” of lift

Stock shackle is 2.75” for 74’... so you will need shackles that are 6.75” long eye to eye .... that’s if they actually use stock height shackles on their 2”kit

I bought the SOR 4" lift kit almost immediately after I bought my 40 in 2012 and I've regretted it ever since. The rear spring packs keep sagging. I've even had a leaf added when I had them re-arched and they sagged again within 6 months. The shackles are well made at least.

I wish I had gone with OME or something.

SOR's 2" and 4" lift kits offer the same springs for both setups (which I thought was weird). The only difference between these two lift kits are for the 4" kit they send you 2.5° and 4° shims and 3" shackles (6" eye-to-eye). For the 2" lift (which I already have) they send you 2.5" shackles (5.25" i2i).
So according to their technical support (and website) if I want to upgrade my lift (from 2" to 4") then I only need to purchase the shims, centering pins and the 3" shackles. But I don't understand how I can get a bigger lift with just a small shackle upgrade...

I bought the SOR 4" lift kit almost immediately after I bought my 40 in 2012 and I've regretted it ever since. The rear spring packs keep sagging. I've even had a leaf added when I had them re-arched and they sagged again within 6 months. The shackles are well made at least.

I wish I had gone with OME or something.
Thanks for your input. I've had my truck for almost 5years now, and the lift was fairly new to the PO. Luckily for me I haven't had any sagging issues with my SOR springs. If I had the $$$ I would definitely go OEM. But if I can upgrade my lift for only 400$ - I think I might just take that route.

That’s not making sense ....
2” kit they give you 5.25” long shackles
4” kit they give you 6” long shackles

That’s only a difference of .75 that’s an added lift of .375”

Somethings not adding up... they most likely send you 2” lift springs and stock height shackles... then to get the higher lift they send 6” shackles

That’s a 3.5” lift kit not really 4”

But... would fit 35” for some time ... until they do sag ... then you do not have the benefit of just adding a longer shackle because the 6” are long already

Kinda muddy :meh:

Shackle math aside, is this an esthetics upgrade or are you having problem clearing boulders?

If it is for looks, I'd say you could use 400$ on other things to make it look better. Giant shackles are a menace to the steering and stability of the cruiser. If you need to clear obstacles in heavy off-roading, I'd say do it correctly with the proper suspension to acquire the lift necessary for your desired style of driving.

Good Luck

That’s not making sense ....
2” kit they give you 5.25” long shackles
4” kit they give you 6” long shackles

That’s only a difference of .75 that’s an added lift of .375”

Somethings not adding up... they most likely send you 2” lift springs and stock height shackles... then to get the higher lift they send 6” shackles

That’s a 3.5” lift kit not really 4”

But... would fit 35” for some time ... until they do sag ... then you do not have the benefit of just adding a longer shackle because the 6” are long already

Kinda muddy :meh:
I agree... something doesn't add up.

Shackle math aside, is this an esthetics upgrade or are you having problem clearing boulders?

If it is for looks, I'd say you could use 400$ on other things to make it look better. Giant shackles are a menace to the steering and stability of the cruiser. If you need to clear obstacles in heavy off-roading, I'd say do it correctly with the proper suspension to acquire the lift necessary for your desired style of driving.

Good Luck
Definitely NOT for looks. I just want more boulder clearance... I thought SOR was a respected off road supplier offering "proper" lift suspensions. I will contact their technical support again to see what they say

I can verify 5.250 inches from bolt center to bolt center on the box section 2.5 inch shackles (P/N #288-42) that came with my lift. I can also confirm the springs at the time were made by Standens in Canada for SOR (circa 2002 installation date). The springs ride firm, I opened up the spring pack clamps a little and I run my aux tank full whenever I have the top off.

HTH

You can get OME heavy fronts and rears and although they are listed as 2.5” springs, you will get a 4” or more lift. It will ride like s*** but you get it.
Keep in mind, these trucks will take a good size tire with the 2.5” lift as long as you keep the tires on stock offset wheels

Also look into a shackle reversal kit. I’m no fan but they do give you 2.5” lift and no goofy long shackles.

i bought the 2.5 SOR kit a few years back ........

the shipping UPS ground was more then ALL the parts combined , and i did NOT skimp on the parts U bolts and all

the springs were NOT wrapped , and shipped bare metal all banged up from UPS tossing them around like there Garbage !

VERY Poor Experience :mad:

OME has been my go-to kits since,,,Period !

Lift kits can claim whatever lift they want because no one really remembers exactly how high their 40 sat when they drove it off the showroom floor
40 years ago. You can buy four different 4" lifts and none will match the other exactly. I doubt any spring manufacturer put any time into a lift
spring for a 40 since OME's first introduction in the 80s. It's easier for a vendor to take a known product and send it to a produce and say "can
you build me something like this". There are no 40 springs built for a decent ride and lift. Anything beyond 200 in/lbs in the rear and 220 in the front begins
to get harsh. Some of the aftermarket spring are in the 500 lb range. They'll last forever because they don't flex. Softer springs will sag sooner because they
cycle more. Unless the market has potential for millions in sales spring companies don't "engineer" springs beyond using mathematical formulas for
determining the pack load rating based on the average weight of the truck. Those numbers are then translated to a spring that costs the least but will deliver
the basic requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom