Specs Needed on '77 2F Distributor Vacuum Advancer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking for distributor vacuum advance data for US market (and overseas if available) for 2F engines with either advance only or advance and retard distributors. I have that type of information for the '68 and earlier F engine advancers from F Engine Repair Manuals, presented in a tabular format as shown below. The hard copy 2F Engine Repair Manual I have has a table that includes information for 19100-61021, the '77 2F vacuum advance distributor, but it (incorrectly due to typo?) shows it as vacuum retard - the numbers are definitely advance numbers. The problem is that there are only two data points - when advance begins at 3.94 in. Hg and 5 degrees distributor advance at 6.30 in. Hg. In contrast, the information (in the same manual) for the non-US 19100-61010 includes three data points - when advance begins at 3.94 in. Hg, 5 degrees distributor advance at 7.87 in. Hg, and 8.5 degrees distributor advance at 11.8 in. Hg.

The two manuals I looked at here For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price. were the 1975 2F and 1980 2F manuals. The 1975 manual doesn't include the '77 distributors (published before the distributor was first used), and the 1980 manual dropped the distributor specifications altogether. I know there are many versions of the 2F Engine Repair Manual out there with different publication dates, I'm hoping one of these has more complete specifications.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• F Engine Repair Manual Page 183.pdf
    189.2 KB · Views: 52
The 2F Engine Emission Control Repair Manual gives some additional specs for late models, specifically those with the dual-diaphragm High Altitude Compensation system. Not sure if this would help you, but if so PM me and I will send you a PDF copy of the 1981 model year.

However, that sounds like something @FJ40Jim ought to know, since he re-curves dizzys.

I understand if you are shopping for a distributor, that is one story. However, what about actually measuring it with a tee in the vac line?

I'm thinking 11.8 in of HG thru the carb port seems a bit generous, and the VSV had the signal of the port and the help of manifold vac and a vac surge tank?

It can be measured while engine is idling.
Tools required: Mityvac, adjustable timing light, tachometer.
Procedure: connect timing light. disconnect vac hose from dissy. Run engine, set timing light to zero mark on FW. slowly rev up engine to determine start RPM of mechanical advance. Pump up mityvac on dissy, noting vac reading for start of advance and all-in. If RPM increases beyond start of mechanical advance, then adjust idle speed screw down, so that vac advance of idle timing doesn't rev too high.
Disconnect tools, reconnect vac advance hose, adjust idle screw to desired speed.

HTH.

Thanks for the procedure, Jim. I have the tools and two test vehicles out on the driveway - FJ40s with '76 2F engines. Just need to have the weather warm up a bit more.

hey Jim, I have an 81 FJ40 with a 2f bored 20 over running headers and weber carb. trying to get my distributor recurved to work best with my configuration. i hear through the grapevine you are the guy to get this done right. could i possibly send this out to you? look forward to hearing from you. Thanks -Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom