Speaking of trailers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
I have an opportunity with a commercial shop to produce some nice trailers, and actually have a VIN upon them to ease registration.

Problem is, I can't imagine that many people would purchase to make the initial investment. So quick question: how many would actually purchase a `nice' trailer (meaning brand new, stuff that is well-though-out, modular, extensible). There are a few manufacturers floating around out there, but I think they are overpriced and possible question on value?

How much is appropriate for a new lightweight M416 (wasn't that the version #) in aluminum (or steel, whatever)? Just curious...

I'd pay $800 or so for a brand new one, well made, that has the features I want. I'd like it a little bigger than an M416, with a tailgate that opens.

Hey Pskhaat, we miss you on the 3FE list. Everybody keeps asking about you. Is your 3FJ40 on the road?

[quote author=yooper link=board=14;threadid=9557;start=msg83806#msg83806 date=1073101673]
Hey Pskhaat, we miss you on the 3FE list. Everybody keeps asking about you. Is your 3FJ40 on the road?
[/quote]

Thanks! Well, I am the proud new father of my new baby boy as of about 7 weeks ago, my move from CO to AZ, a new house, TWO new jobs (my wife we've decided to have stay home with the baby, thus the extra job I have to take), thus I've been absolutely swamped with the joys of life!

BUT, I WILL be back on the list, miss the diatribes :)

I have a new friend in LAX that has a commercial metal shop, and LONG ago I drafted a 416-style (with drop down gate) that was scaled to the track of an 80 series, used a 2" receiver to attach what is needed at both ends (like a pintle `loop'), etc. I'll ask the guy soon what his estimate would be.

Anything else to add that would be of core value?

Congratulations on all the joys, especially the son!

It should have 6-lug hubs for Land Cruiser wheels and have a spare tire mount of some kind.

SOA of course.

I can't decide steel vs. aluminum.

An easy way to attach an enclosed top somehow.

minimum 1/2 ton load bearing capacity.

The lights should be well protected, not sticking out on the sides or rear. I have always thought trailer lights should be embedded in a rear bumper.

I like the 2" receivers idea.

I'll keep thinking.

I am looking for a small Trailer to pull w/fj40,,,,I have been searching the web for 4x4 trailers, there are quite a few companies making them,,,but darn expensive........

I just want it to fit camping gear etc......
Make one like below and I am in :beer:
the company want $1200.00 for kit...will need major welding/paint/wheels/tires..etc....... :flipoff2:

can't get the image to load...: go here:
http://www.mtbculture.com/80/trailer_FJ40.jpg

trailer_FJ40.jpg

thx

I built a trailer a couple of years ago and its pretty nice. I have about $1000 in it, it has aluminum sides. I thought about producing these trailers but never had the money to get it started. Now that I have built it, I know what changes I would have made. Currently I am running 32" tires and spring under, but could run much bigger and do a spring over. I will try and ge some picks of it and post them.

Well?

Hey Pskhaat,

Any action on this subject? I found a local out of work machinist who's willing to fab me whatever I want. Trying to make decisions....

Sean

Put the spare on the tongue, close to the front of the trailer body. Recess the taillights, add running sidelights, greasable spring mounts, and bearing buddies for the axles. Give it a drop down tailgate. Put hold down hooks on it. Sell it for $1500.

My thoughts... YMMV.

Mike S

tis the season for trailer talk. I am looking for a trailer- simple, reliable,water-tight lid...yadayada... but agree that most prices on the web are very high. If you guys work something out I'd be seriously interested. i don't mind paying for a well thought and crafted product, I just just can't justify spending the loads of cash many companies want. My expertise is limited but let me know if i can be of any help. I'm up here in Santa Cruz but frequent So. California often.

-david

Sounds like a great idea... but I think you will have a hard time meeting the needs/expectations of buyers within a reaonable budget (especially Cruiserheads/keen wheelers)... Everyone has a buddy with a welder, everone can score some free metal, tanks, tires, rims, etc...

Selling it to the general 4x4 masses may prove to be very profitble (Rover guys with more $$$ than brains)

I am in too my trailer less than $500, it wieghs 300# (beat that!) has onboard air, water, propane, has 3500# axle, 360* pintle, etc... But it suits my exact needs..... (soon as keg is fitted ;))

[quote author=cruiseroutfit link=board=14;threadid=9557;start=msg111795#msg111795 date=1077914559]
Everyone has a buddy with a welder, everone can score some free metal, tanks, tires, rims, etc...
[/quote]

Actually, following up from a while ago. No, not a buddy, but an actual SHOP that already produces frames and trailers. Just a matter of getting an order for an appropriate frame and whatever parts they would normally have to put together the rest (yes, this is non-trivial), with VIN!

[quote author=3fj40 link=board=14;threadid=9557;start=msg133531#msg133531 date=1081226307]
...with VIN!

[/quote]

Are there states that this matters? In Utah only tandem axle trailers are req'd to have a plate, and a VIN isn't even needed for that (they will assign you one for free)...

[quote author=cruiseroutfit link=board=14;threadid=9557;start=msg133626#msg133626 date=1081240818]
Are there states that this matters?
[/quote]

According to the USC's section for transportation (forget which chapter/section) yes, this does matter in terms of legally producing them.

Will theses be Millitary replicas? Cause I'm in the market right now for a used military unit to convert. I've actually run this idea past a buddy of mine with a red iron shop here in town and it was cost prohibitive. I would be interested in these. I think I sent you a PM about these a month or so back.

[quote author=BMAN link=board=14;threadid=9557;start=msg136051#msg136051 date=1081544073]
Will theses be Millitary replicas?
[/quote]

Don't really know. There are lots of frames, parts, etc etc. It'd be fun to put together a `kit' per-se without the stigma of the name `kit' of all things needed to build the trailer. I have not been able to fully cost it out, honestly havn't had much of the time.

`Problem' is though that I'd want the trailer to match identically the track width of the 40/60/80/et al and that may be interesting to figure out.

Has anyone seen a trailer that uses coil springs? This summer I will most likely make my own trailer, and have been thinking it would be kind a cool to use the stock rear springs I pulled from my 80 series when I installed OME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom