speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok .. so this is not a real tech question. However, I am finally thinking about putting a stereo into my 77 40. The problem is that I don't know where to put the speakers. The doors are no good because they come off in the summer. Any ideas?

Rollbar mount - had a st there and they sounded great. Make sure you get a pair that is weather resistant - I used some cheap Jensen box 3-ways.

I;m going with the setup i found that this guy did at www.toyman.ws, hope that link works anyway, I'm gonna get some marine speakers from some boating store and put them in like he has, the stereo is gonna be in a tuffy, then i will prob get some tuffy toolbox/speaker combos for the rear fenders. i will take out the toolbox under the driver seat and put an amp there. by the way i have a 69 fj40

I had crummy luck trying to put the radio in the factory position due to the cowl vent linkages. Newer radios are longer, wider (I think) and taller. I was forced to place it about 5" up from the factory position. Most radios have really crummy sleves that they slide in and make for some movement of the radio. If you have the means put the radio in a tuffy or plan on some serious fabrication. BTW, I have a 73 and you may not even have the same cowl configuration. Wire it all from the alternator.
Pablo

another good front spot for mounting 4inch splits/ 2or 3 ways is in the flat section of dash between the glovebox and the doors, and the corresponding place between the speedo and the doors. i know all the fj's i've driven have the headlight switch mounted here, but that's an easy move to the center of the dash.

noticed the glovebox and instrument cluster is identical, making for easy rhd to left hand drive conversions.

if helocat can dig up the photo from his digi cam on my roll cage i have an over head console that mounts to my roll cage. Sits very nicely right above your head, so when the top is off you will still get good sound with the wind blowing everywhere.

2 6x9 R-F in a box between the wheelwells just behind the seats. The Alpine amp lives between them. Head unit is in the custom center console between the seats. The rear hard tonneau keeps them out of sight, but I wouldn't do it this way without a garage.

I built a rear storage / speaker box out of diamond plating and steel box bar. I like it a lot, very simple bolt in idea. Had all the metals cut to specified size, length, etc. and bolted it right in. The jensen marine speakers fit behind the seats in a panel as well as the amp which fits on the inside of the panel keeping it safe (hopefully) from thieves. The whole speaker panel (and speakers) that holds the amp and speakers is held on by security screws to make it harder for thieves. The tape deck sits in a tuffy center console. The speaker box doubles as storage. I have a few of those underbed rollaway boxes that pull out from the rear of the 40. An added benefit of the box is that is ended up doubling as an acoustic box. No pics but I can take some if anyone wants.

Noah :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom