Speaker Wire (1 Viewer)

For all you Car Audio Guys

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
For you car audio guys:

was wondering if the size of the speaker wire really makes a difference in the sound of a stereo system? I am running 2 6x9 marine speakers on a 140x2 amp (70amps per speaker I believe?) and I used the wire that came with the speaker because of the ease of use. I was surprised however on how small the wire was compared to the thicker "monster" cable wire I have used before. Is the thicker stuff usually used with larger systems that use subwoofers, etc? It's all in and working great now but I was stilll curious just for basic knowledge.

thanks!

Noah

I'd run the bigger wire to the speakers if you have it. With the smaller wires, you can lose some power, depending on the length of the wire.

OK, gonna redo it today. The wires are fairly long. What guage would you guys reccomend. I have some 16 guage laying around, is this large enough? I can't find the specific connections so I think I am going to sauter directly to the speaker tabs to make things easier. I can always dissconnect them from the amp.

Noah

If your speakers have tabs, I would use the slide on spade connectors. They hold well and you can disconnect them if you need to. I used 12ga wire on mine, 16ga would probably be ok.

for that low amount of watts any size wire you use will do the same -- i mean that you will not notice any difference if you swap the wire back to the larger size

average is 16-12 gauge for the speakers but look at stereo systems in lexus or others with factory amps the wire they use is tiny.

i would be more concern about the power and ground gauge for the amp -- use the same for both

you will find many different oppions -- some would say go 1 gauge power wire but i had a system in my probe with about 2000 watts (2 amps) all running off 4 gauge power wires and 12 gauge to the highs and mids and 10 to my subs -- and i found nobody running cable that thick way back then

Oooooooh something I can comment on. High fidelity music reproduction is a passion with me.

What CustomCruiser sez. You are not going to tell a diff.... specially in a 40 :D

There is mucho mumbo-jumbo concerning power and speaker wire. Zip cord sized wire will do just fine in your application. I'd look for a good quality of wire and solder the connections and apply heat shrink in an attempt to forestall corrosion creeping in the ends of the wire under the insulation..... it's for the long run.

Personally, my home system uses 22 guage enameled magnet wire for the speakers.
Boy... that shook a few folks up, I'm sure.... :eek:
I'm also a big fan of high power.... The amps are rated at about 6 watts maxium per channel and I can run you out of the room with that.... and it's pretty danged clean audio. The speakers are around 6' high and are moved with a hand truck and the amps weigh about 70lbs per channel. Speaker "efficiency" is the key.
You can view my amps and speakers (and FJ-40) at:
http://www.homestead.com/sparkgap/
Hollow State technology forever .........no squalid state for me (or is that soiled state ?)
John Sherwood
'79 FJ-40

Holy s***e! Guys, I think we've got an audiophile in our midst....:D
Those are some big F-ing speakers! Never heard of a hedlund horn before.

Hey guys, I have worked in the stereo repair business for mucho years. If you want to do it real cheaply, double or triple up your speaker wire. the actual equation has slipped my mind right now, but if you double up two strands of 16Gauge wire, it would be around the same as a strand of 12Gauge. I tripled up some 18 gauge on my amp. It works great if you have a bunch of thin gauge laying around like i did. hope that helps.

To answer your question though. It makes a ton of difference how thick the line is. It makes sense that more electrons can travle through more area

[quote author=zuluzeugma link=board=1;threadid=5691;start=msg45319#msg45319 date=1064622462]
To answer your question though. It makes a ton of difference how thick the line is. It makes sense that more electrons can travle through more area
[/quote]
If you want to get real technical, I'm studying Atomic Theory in my chemistry class, and pure platinum with an insulation of liquid helium within a few degrees of absolute zero will give you superconductivity and as a result the most efficient speaker wire possible.
:flipoff2: ::) :D

Now, THAT's useful Bailey :flipoff2:

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=5691;start=msg45475#msg45475 date=1064688608]
Now, THAT's useful Bailey :flipoff2:
[/quote]
More useful than YOUR post. Maybe you need a lid too Dave. :cheers: :flipoff2: :p :D

:)

what the hell is sherwood smokin?? thats a hell of alot of work to design that stuff

personally i will stick to my definitive technology bp2002tl http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powertower/powertower.html