Speaker upgrade question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched and searched for a while now but can't seem to find a thread on anyone reconing/refurbishing their factory speakers.

This is for a 1997 40th edition will full blown out crap speakers, it just seems like it would be easier to get them refurbished instead of messing with different brands/sizes.

For anyone that has done it, how is the sound quality with the upgraded materials or are they lacking? Still open to the idea of finding newer speakers but checking this route out first.

I didn't even know you could refurb speakers. I went with some 6" Pioneer jobs in the front and back with a spacer to keep them away from the window rail. Mine sound awesome for very little hassle.

Yea there are several businesses in my area that are dedicated solely for speaker repairs such as this one, Speaker Repair Orlando | The Original, Central Florida Speaker Inc.

Do you have the product number for your pioneers?

These ones "Pioneer TSD1602R 6.5 Inch Two-Way Speakers with 260 Watts Max Power". I am driving them with one of these "Pioneer 60WX4 760W Peak Amplifier GMA6604" which i located under the drivers seat. There is a decent lump in the back for bass as well.
My wagon should arrive in Orlando in about a week if you want to hear how it sounds.

Not worth the headache just to stay OEM. The original speakers are crappy anyway. You can replace them and keep the original speaker grill if looks is what you are after.

Not worth the headache just to stay OEM. The original speakers are crappy anyway. You can replace them and keep the original speaker grill if looks is what you are after.

Agree whole heartily with Dragos80.

Ditch the OEM CRAPOLLAS (you cannot polish a turd!), and get quality aftermarkets that fit the OEM spaces. They are out there - I know - I just recently replaced all my speakers. LMK if you want to know which ones went where.

Are you planning on buying a new head unit? Or just looking at the speakers?

Last edited:
Speakers are really cheap these days - replace them

Thanks guys, it seems like the general consensus is to replace the speakers so I'll be taking that route instead.

Agree whole heartily with Dragos80.

Ditch the OEM CRAPOLLAS (you cannot polish a turd!), and get quality aftermarkets that fit the OEM spaces. They are out there - I know - I just recently replaced all my speakers. LMK if you want to know which ones went where.

Are you planning on buying a new head unit? Or just looking at the speakers?

Will be replacing the head unit also, leaning towards a double DIN. If you wouldn't mind sharing what speakers you found for the 4 door speakers, that would be great!

Yup, agree with the others. Even running the stock HU, any speaker off the shelf is night and day better from stockers even if "re-done". Im just running the same cheap walmart pioneers that everyone else is and sounds just fine for my taste..... actually pretty good. I am running Alpine HU however, speaker powered from it and a mono amp for a sub box.

Will be replacing the head unit also, leaning towards a double DIN. If you wouldn't mind sharing what speakers you found for the 4 door speakers, that would be great!

There's some info on my build thread here - The "Wart Hog" - 1996 Land Cruiser Build
Stereo head unit -- Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS In-Dash DVD Receiver with 6.2" Display, Bluetooth, SiriusXM-Ready, HD Radio
Dash speakers -- Powerbass S-275CF 2.75-Inch Full Range OEM Speakers -- these are also an OEM replacement for the cargo roof speakers.
Front door -- Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 150-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair)
Passenger doors -- Alpine Type-S SPS-410 4" Coaxial 2-Way Car Audio Speakers
Subwoofer under driver's seat -- Planet Audio P8UAW 8 inch 800-watt Amplified Subwoofer System
Subwoofer rear cargo area -- Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch Shallow Woofer System Subwoofers (Pair)
Rear subwoofer amp -- Pioneer GM-D8601 Class D Mono Amplifier with Wired Bass Boost Remote
Subwoofer wiring kit -- Boss Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit with High Performance RCA Interconnect and Speaker Wire

NOTE: These we all installed in my 1996 Land Cruiser. You can use Crutchfield's Fitment Guide to double check. There was some slight dremeling of the speaker areas in the door, and cargo area. Along with some new holes drilled. Nothing serious, and an easy job for anyone new to car stereo installation.

Good luck on your build, and feel free to ask questions!

hqdefault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom