Speaker upgrade - looking for some advice

That's a real bummer if we can't get that anymore
I've reached out through their contact methods, but it looks like not much has happened since 2013/2014 or so, so I'm suddenly far less optimistic.

Wonder if anyone is parting out their rigs... or if we can get the diagrams to this or something.

Awesome - got a response back - they’re still around though doing other things BUT the owner says he is considering doing another run and getting some people together. I recommend you email him. Who knows when the next one will be.

Awesome - got a response back - they’re still around though doing other things BUT the owner says he is considering doing another run and getting some people together. I recommend you email him. Who knows when the next one will be.
Can you post their email? I can't get it on the website. Anything I click on says unable to connect to database

I've been meaning to post up a new thread.

10 years ago when I purchased my Cruiser from a friend, the radio and the speakers were absolute junk. I immediately replaced the radio with a used double din JVC hunk-o-junk that had bluetooth. At the time, the Polk db651's were supposed to be the best shallow mount speakers available for the Cruiser. I purchased four 6.5" speakers and cut the rear door holes to accommodate the larger speakers. Initially the Polks sounded awful with almost no bass and dull tweeters. I had to give in and adjust both bass and treble to make them sound somewhat acceptable but was never happy.

Two years ago, I replaced the JVC with a double din Pioneer AVH-2550NEX with Android auto. The sound from the speakers did not improve.

After 10 years two of the four Polks were dead due to water intrusion from bad window seals. I replaced the Polks with Infinity Reference 6532EX. With just the four speakers running off the radio and no other amplification, I am blown away by the sound quality. The Infinity's have highs and lows and sound incredibly musical even with a flat eq. I was able to do a A/B comparison between the remaining working Polks and the Infinities during installation. The difference in sound quality was AM radio vs CD player.

These speakers were only $58 a pair and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for a simple stereo upgrade.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09462FR6L
Thanks for posting! I've been trying to decide whether I go big and get the morel nano's or something a bit more affordable, yet still providing decent sound. Just ordered these!

lumbee1

Native American
Thanks for posting! I've been trying to decide whether I go big and get the morel nano's or something a bit more affordable, yet still providing decent sound. Just ordered these!
Let me know what you think of them. BTW, I also ordered the JBL GTO 6.5" coaxial and setup an A/B comparison with them. The JBL's were more musical and clear but I liked the fuller range (clean highs and stronger bass) of the Infinities. I can't wait for my next road trip. The family hasn't heard them yet.

Let me know what you think of them. BTW, I also ordered the JBL GTO 6.5" coaxial and setup an A/B comparison with them. The JBL's were more musical and clear but I liked the fuller range (clean highs and stronger bass) of the Infinities. I can't wait for my next road trip. The family hasn't heard them yet.

Have any pic of them installed? I'm thinking about buying a set of these too

lumbee1

Native American
Have any pic of them installed? I'm thinking about buying a set of these too

I have 1/2" spacers behind the door card in the front and back to give them enough space to clear the window channel in the front and the glass mechanism in the rear.

1660923774270.png

1660923794039.png

lumbee1

Native American
Polk speakers when I first installed them. I hated the grill design as well.
1660924084955.png

Last edited:
I painted my Polks in the R doors the same color as the door cards. They blend with interior quite a bit better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom