Speaker replacement in my 93 results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My factory front door speakers sounded like crap. The paper cone speakers had worn down to nothing.

Toyota dealership wants 63.00 each for the factory speakers. (No Thanks Toyota)

I took a speaker out of the door and took it with me to several car audio shops in Dallas/Fort Worth area. Most reps (read this as 18 year old with a holiday job) said they'd NEVER seen a speaker like this (Thanks again Toyota). Most also said they didn't have a speaker that would work in the LC. "There's not enough space in that door. Can't be done with an aftermarket speaker."

Some also told me the LC uses a 6 1/2 inch speaker. I guess you could shoe horn one in but not worth the effort if you ask me.

Crutchfield was also not much help in this matter.

So after much research on this forum I found people recommending the Eclipse 5 1/4. However, don't waste your time looking for these, they were discountinued.

What I did find is the Kenwood KFC-1379ie. It's a 5 1/4 inch 2 way speaker. Cost $70 at Best Buy. Also bought some 1/2 inch plastic/nylon spacers in the hardware section at Lowe's Home Center. Only $1 for 4 spacers per door. You'll need 8 spacers. Also bought some 1 1/2 inch screws. Again, you'll need 8 screws.

(You could use speaker spacers if you can find them, however they usually cost 10 to 15 dollars.)

Used the factory screw holes and factory wiring in the door to mount the speaker. The grey wire is negative, the wire with the blue stripe is the positive.

The install took me 15 minutes each door.

I did not disconnect the speakers in the dash and i'm using the factory head unit.

Highly recommend this upgrade. It's reasonably cheap and easy.
New speakers in the doors sound great! (Not audiophile great, but far better than factory speakers.)

Henry

:mad: :confused: ;)

Henry - thanks for the tip. I've been wanting to upgrade my speakers as well. I'm not too picky but anything would sound better than OEM. So I'll give this a try. Happy New Year, Ernie

Sorry for the stupid question, but why are spacers needed?

hguerrero said:
Also bought some 1/2 inch plastic/nylon spacers in the hardware section at Lowe's Home Center. Only $1 for 4 spacers per door. You'll need 8 spacers.

This is great info to replace my crappy oem speakers, thanks!

Two questions, do you really need an extra 2" of space outside of the door to clear the window? If so, do you clear the side of the dash board on both sides with an extra two inches of speakers sticking out?

Thanks again!:beer:

cruiserman said:
Sorry for the stupid question, but why are spacers needed?

Because there is a support bar running right behind the speaker opening and most after market speakers are too deep to fit in the space without hitting the brace.

Whitey said:
This is great info to replace my crappy oem speakers, thanks!

Two questions, do you really need an extra 2" of space outside of the door to clear the window? If so, do you clear the side of the dash board on both sides with an extra two inches of speakers sticking out?

Thanks again!:beer:

He said he used 1/2"...not 2" spacers....1/2" are fine, 2" would hit the dash.

Also for any new guys looking to do this upgrade this has been discussed and shown "how-to" many many times. Search and you will find many different ideas and thoughts on the subject.

I am enjoying my Memphis 5 1/4" in the fronts. Small spacers (not even 1/2") and the Memphis grills. I will be picking up new rear door speakers with some Christmas gift cards.

TX_TLC said:
He said he used 1/2"...not 2" spacers....1/2" are fine, 2" would hit the dash.

Actually, he said he used four 1/2" spacers per door....

"Also bought some 1/2 inch plastic/nylon spacers in the hardware section at Lowe's Home Center. Only $1 for 4 spacers per door. You'll need 8 spacers."

Perhaps I am reading this wrong, maybe all four spacers = 1/2" but if there are four 1/2" spacers, that = 2".

Which is correct?

Whitey said:
Perhaps I am reading this wrong, maybe all four spacers = 1/2" but if there are four 1/2" spacers, that = 2".

Which is correct?

When you consider how a speaker must be spaced out, it all becomes clear. One spacer per mounting hole and one screw per mounting hole= one speaker spaced out 1/2".

Stacking 4 (1/2") spacers would indeed equal 2", but how the dickens would you mount it?

Funny, how our minds process what we read sometimes.

When I installed my 6.5" Focals, I used one spacer between the interior panel and the door, and one spacer between the interior panel and the speaker. This way the speaker does not look like it sticks out as far as it does if you put all the spacers on the outside.

I'll post pictures sometime.

Hayes

Last edited:
Please post pics of the setup

flintknapper said:
When you consider how a speaker must be spaced out, it all becomes clear. One spacer per mounting hole and one screw per mounting hole= one speaker spaced out 1/2".

Stacking 4 (1/2") spacers would indeed equal 2", but how the dickens would you mount it?

Funny, how our minds process what we read sometimes.

I am actually thinking of a spacer that is the same diameter as the speaker. I guess the reference is to a smaller, washer like spacer for each hole.
Sorry for the confusion.

:rolleyes:

i installed 6 1/2 Pioneers and i didnt use any spacers? used factory mounting holes and no rubbing or anything is experienced when rolling the window down. I have teh factory head unit and it sounds great.. replaced the fronts, the dash mounted ones, and the rear ones..

FloridaFJ80 said:
i installed 6 1/2 Pioneers and i didnt use any spacers? used factory mounting holes and no rubbing or anything is experienced when rolling the window down. I have teh factory head unit and it sounds great.. replaced the fronts, the dash mounted ones, and the rear ones..

Did you mount them on the outside of the door panel or behind the panel?

What is the model number?

I have four Pioneer 6.5" speakers sitting around but I thought they were too big. I would love to make them work.

Thanks!

I went with the Kenwoods because of the rubber surrounds they use on the speakers. Rubber is a lot more resistant to sitting in a hot Texas sun all day and lasts a lot longer than other surround materials.

They're mounted behind the door panel.
Also, with this set up I used the factory speaker covers to keep the stock look. Also keeps thieves away.

Used one screw and one spacer per mounting hole. Could have bought spacers the same diameter as the speakers from a car audio shop but they cost 10 to 20 dollars per pair. My way cost $2 and nobody will know but me and those LC lovers on this board.

Again it took 15 minutes tops per door.

6.5" Infinity Front, 4" Infinity Back. Small 1/4" spacer for the front. This is on a 94 FZJ80. Kenwood unit MP3 all that jazz...

spkr1.jpg

Close shot of spacer cut with a 6" hole saw from MDF

spkr2.jpg

Focals

Hayes said:
When I installed my 6.5" Focals

Yeah, I used 6.5" Focals in the front as well, and 5 1/2" Focals in the rear doors. You definetly need to get the spacing just right with these, but boy do they sound great!

Focals = sweet.

I've got the "entry level" Access 6.5" separates in the front, and semi-$hitty Kicker coaxials in the rear.

The Focals have a very musical sound, with highs that are extended, but not so over-done as so many car speakers. Love 'em.

I'll eventually replace the rears with more Focals, and maybe even get crazy with some tiny little Focals in the "cargo tweeter" spot. However, the rig sounds so saaaweeet right now (with 8" JL sub), and I have several other mods that have priority over audio stuff.

Hayes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom