Speaker mounting depth in 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, having a hard time coming across this info but everything I have seen leads me to believe these are extremly shallow.

What is the mounting dept for the front doors?
What is the mounting depth in the rear doors?

I have no issues with cutting the sheet metal inside the doors but still want my windows to function.

vinyl.
you are gonna need some spacers unless you can find some discontinued infintys.
Dave

I used Alpine SPS-1329S 5.25" speakers up from and SPS-1029S 4" in the rear. These have been discontinued but you might find them on Ebay. You might be able to locate the specs online. These fit without spacers. The rears needed the OEM mounting carved up but simple to do. I think the best approach is to take one of each out of the truck and go down to your local car audio dealer and find something close in depth with or without a spacer.

Check out this post from when I replaced my front and rear speakers - it will give you a good idea what you are dealing with....along with what I used. The factory speakers have a top-mounted magnet (very shallow) - and the window track is right behind the speaker. You need to find the shallowest mount-depth speaker you can - because the only way it can go is out of the door. In the back you won't have any problems if you're willing to cut the sheet metal - I modified the factory mnt. so I could keep the grills.

Tucker

ok, mildly displeased but not deterred. I caved on my toyta pick-up and went w/ bostons. Never again. I will get MB Quarts in my 80. Sounds like I will have to break stock and fashion some custom door panels. Not really what I wanted to do but maybe a new project is just what I needed.

Also looking to drop a 4 chanel zapco in the rear quarter panel. Should be pretty sweet once its all done. Stay tuned for pics.

Thanks all, and that other thread was helpful too tucker.

Tucker, Do you know how deep the Eclipse speakers are? I found some Alpines which are "top mount depth of 1.9 inches" I'm curious if these would fit w/ spacers.

andre

I used Kenwood speakers that have a seperate tweeter that can be mounted on the plastic covers for the side mirror access. Very easy install, sorry can find the model number.

I wasn't able to use very large spacers on my '96...there isn't much space between the stock speaker grill and the dashboard. Was able to get some 6.5" Pioneers in with a small spacer.

Pioneer isn't my first choice, but they sound a whole lot better than the factory inverted cone speakers. They were cheap ($49/pr) so I'll toss them when I find something better.

Ed

dang, guys, maybe I don't have very good ears, but my system sounds just fine stock...
???
E

E,

Wait a year or two and you will find out. When I replaced mine last year, the fronts only had about 1/10th of the rubber suspension left on them, buzzed like no tomorrow and sounded like crap.

floatinghat,

I used the Eclipse SE8253s (2-way) up front which they don't make any more, the SE8353 (3-way) has a mount depth of 1 7/8" (which is the same as mine I believe). You can also go with the SE8363 which is a 6 1/2" 3-way with the same mounting depth (I wanted to keep the stock grills). A friend of mine went with the bigger speakers and they look decent (just have to add spacer...cut back trim...and use Eclipse grill).

I've just had way to much stuff ripped off driving Heeps and 40's all through high school and college to make anything not look stock.

Tucker

Tucker, thanks I want that stock look as well. I fill the various cubbies up and don't want to invite any slime balls with a non stock stereo. I've been looking at the 8353 and 52's on ebay and noticed the Alpine had a pretty shallow depth (1.9") and are also in the same $$$. So I guess both are approximatly the same depth 1.7/8 =1.875" This just expands the options.

andre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom