SPC UCA failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Choose Total Chaos for no caster correction and extra squeaking.

Total Chaos was one of the first companies to offer UCA's for the 100. Many have abandoned them due to the noise. Maybe you have a superior way of maintaining them. I dunno.

Total Chaos was one of the first companies to offer UCA's for the 100. Many have abandoned them due to the noise. Maybe you have a superior way of maintaining them. I dunno.

No dog in this fight, but didn't they just come out with a new set?

Disregard. I see the link posted above.

It depends, I am of the opinion that "real trucks squeak" but that's just me :rofl:

All my poly bushings squeek... if I could do it over, total chaos all the way

Install them with M1 synthetic grease. Poly bushings have been silent and look new.

Looks like I was thinking of the Nitro UCAs posted above. Not the Total Chaos.

Any word on the Nitro option?

I had purchased a pair of SPC arms from a vendor here on Mudd.
When they arrived the finish was so poor I contacted the vendor and returned them. The vendor tried to briefly convince me that the poor quality powder coat was the norm with SPC. They offered to send me another pair or a refund.
And while the Total Chaos UCA’s might squeak at least they have a exceptional finish and are not rusty like my bumper.
Images of the SPC arms out of the box prior to returning.

3E57076A-E6DC-4337-89B0-D6C21800C5C3.jpeg

90FBA5A8-C6B8-4CB9-924F-8781030BDD28.jpeg

6707D90A-2B7B-4327-B11A-E9DE070BE9F3.jpeg

Poly bushes squeak when they arent lubed correctly during set up- and they occasionally need to be lubed.
Moly fortified grease has done the job for me- squeak free for 40k since install- UCAs, sway links, rear panhard, upper/lower rear ca’s

It's amazing how quick some people are to cut down a company just because of a few bad units out of thousands. SPC is a very reputable company that has made a huge name for themselves making very reliable parts for both recreational offroaders like ourselves, as well as high performance racing applications. I will stand by the fact that as long as the UCA's are installed properly (assembled, lubed, torqued, etc.) and maintained properly they will last a very long time with no problems.

I guess a lot of people are not familiar with Six Sigma but there is no such thing as a company with 0 defects in their products.

Last edited:
Six Sigma
Six Sigma but there is no such thing as a company with 0 defects

No-one believes there is a company with zero defects. However, there is an expectation that great companies own the quality both when its good and bad. Maybe in MBA school they only focus on the upside and teach how to mitigate the down side with denials and obfuscation? Problem is in our little corner of the world, word gets around and reputation means something.
I think the largest part of the original complaint is the customer service aspect and lack of care and ownership.
I think for most consumers that's the challenge, what do you do when something isn't right and the company in question tells you its not their problem?

I will stand by the fact that as long as the UCA's are installed properly (assembled, lubed, torqued, etc.) and maintained properly they will last a very long time with no problems.
Does this statement indicate you work for the company in question?

Last edited:
Cut down a company!? There are dozens of documented cases of complete catastrophic failure of a safety critical component.

With something as basic welding, it is absolutely acceptable to “cut down” a company such as SPC.

Their products are junk. Period.

It's amazing how quick some people are to cut down a company just because of a few bad units out of thousands. SPC is a very reputable company that has made a huge name for themselves making very reliable parts for both recreational offroaders like ourselves, as well as high performance racing applications. I will stand by the fact that as long as the UCA's are installed properly (assembled, lubed, torqued, etc.) and maintained properly they will last a very long time with no problems.

I guess a lot of people are not familiar with Six Sigma but there is no such thing as a company with 0 defects in their products.

Gotta say, my TC arms have been excellent, just replaced uniballs after 51,000 miles of use, one was bad, one was OK.
The poly was fine and went back in.

Yep, my junk squeaks sometimes but I think the MT rear links make more noise than the front UCA's.

Both TC and SPC have lots and lots and lots of sets in the field so hearing of a rare issue with either seems reasonable... I have seen the SPC Ball joint move under load but that's kind of a feature to get you more adjustments. TC picked the setting and built it in so it's simpler and tough as baja IMHO. Very happy with the TC arms, the SPC offering is very interesting with a quieter inboard joint design and the adjustment.. the Nitro/JT with the sealed joint and built in geometry has real merit as well. It's a tough choice today but TC was about all there was when I was in the market.

Gotta say, my TC arms have been excellent, just replaced uniballs after 51,000 miles of use, one was bad, one was OK.
The poly was fine and went back in.

Yep, my junk squeaks sometimes but I think the MT rear links make more noise than the front UCA's.

Both TC and SPC have lots and lots and lots of sets in the field so hearing of a rare issue with either seems reasonable... I have seen the SPC Ball joint move under load but that's kind of a feature to get you more adjustments. TC picked the setting and built it in so it's simpler and tough as baja IMHO. Very happy with the TC arms, the SPC offering is very interesting with a quieter inboard joint design and the adjustment.. the Nitro/JT with the sealed joint and built in geometry has real merit as well. It's a tough choice today but TC was about all there was when I was in the market.

i’d like to add, that nearly every SPC UCA i’ve ever seen has the exact same settings. The adjustability seems like a great option, but in reality That added adjustment isn’t really needed

Everyones happy with their respective brand choice but the missing data point from all the posts is alignment specs/comparison data: can you get to +4degrees (or more) of caster with TC or Nitro fixed arms and still keep close to zero 0.01 of camber? They all claim it but It’d be great to know the actual results.

Holy smokes good thing nothing catastrophic happened to you while driving the truck with a broken UCA! If I have an SPC UCA now I’d return it brand new or used I’d boycott them for this type of customer service treatment.

I had purchased a pair of SPC arms from a vendor here on Mudd.
When they arrived the finish was so poor I contacted the vendor and returned them. The vendor tried to briefly convince me that the poor quality powder coat was the norm with SPC. They offered to send me another pair or a refund.
And while the Total Chaos UCA’s might squeak at least they have a exceptional finish and are not rusty like my bumper.
Images of the SPC arms out of the box prior to returning.

View attachment 2113889

View attachment 2113890

View attachment 2113892

I agree with the vendor, the coating on the part is E-Coat, which does not coat welds great. The uncoated parts of the welds are impurities with the E-Coat does not stick too. Toyota chassis, 70 series and Hilux are E-Coated and show the same behaviour along their length where they inner and outer are welded together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom