SPC Ball Joint Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think SPC recommends grease with Moly, but when I've used it, the grease separates and leaked out of the BJ. I've been using simple red-n-tacky ngli #2 for about 20k now on this set of arms and no play at all and no leaking. I put a something like 5 pumps of grease in after every long trip on unimproved roads/off-road, and at any oil changes.

1 of mine is wore out. 6 months. I have SCS -38 wheels & 35’s. Do a bit of wheeling but... They should last longer than that. I’m getting rid of these wheels, they are too hard on parts. Going to a -12.

-38 eh
1 of mine is wore out. 6 months. I have SCS -38 wheels & 35’s. Do a bit of wheeling but... They should last longer than that. I’m getting rid of these wheels, they are too hard on parts. Going to a -12.
-38 eh? :beer:

I noticed -38 as well.
1622738796197.jpeg

0 or less would likely be the culprit for extra short ball joint service life

EDIT!!!! I was WRONG. When following the SPC inspection procedure as outlined in the FAQ PDF they sent me... My joints are good. My bad SPC!

Updating thread with my experience. I just had to replace passanger side UBJ due to excess play after ~30k miles. With that said, I contacted SPC, and they agreed that the BJ needed to be replaced and I picked up 2 replacements under warrantee (core charge that gets refunded). Swapping both P+D side out took about 1.5 hours with some degreasing, checking torque on wheel spacers, etc. All in all, really quite easy and SPC's customer service was great. For me personally, the ease in servicing the SPC parts is worth it, despite the shortish BJ lifespan I experienced.

I have about 55k miles on my SPC UCAs. I grease them every 5k miles and they see plenty of rough trails. No issues.

I have about 55k miles on my SPC UCAs. I grease them every 5k miles and they see plenty of rough trails. No issues.
Copy that- I’ve got similar mileage on mine as well- knock on wood still good to go

Just a heads up, I only got about 40k miles out of my ball joints on the Nitro Gears UCAs. The BJs needed to be replaced for a while. There was the usual ball joint thunk when it would normally occur. Unfortunately I have the old style and they stopped producing the parts I needed. I made the decision to switch out to a new UCA. I went with the Trail Tailor because it uses a stock Tundra ball joint and it also uses a Johnny Joint for the connection to the frame. I know that these parts will remain in production. I am not running into a situation where I have to buy new UCAs because a small company stopped producing the parts I needed again. The Nitros were good, but shot parts still need replacing. Nitro's new design look even less serviceable than the old version that I have.

Also, I believe that wheeling these trucks hard with oversized wheels and a lift is just hard on parts. They will fail much much sooner. My lower ball joints were equally shot and in need of replacement. My suspension was making A LOT of noise. I also had to replace the spherical bearings on my Icon shocks. So much thunking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom