Spartan Lockers - Any real world feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried the Spartan lockers that Marlin is selling now? I have an Aussie in the rear and planned one for the front. I like the idea of an American made product (for my Japanese rig:D).

Any thoughts?

Can you provide a link with more information?

Aussie vs Spartan lockers - Page 2 - YotaTech Forums

Think it was in there, bigger pins, and somewhere I had read about them, a c clip and being easier to install, which isn't that big of a deal.
Google Spartan locker and you will see lots of stuff from pirate and yota tech

Edit: I think its the first page, dono why it goes to the second.

Edit again, I read somewhere only use with 32 tires or smaller, then I just checked on marlins, and it says recommended for light vehicles and smaller then 35" tires. That leaves me wondering. Its chromoly parts, I don't remember aussie recommending anything about a max tire size. I also don't think we classify as "light"

Last edited:
•Eliminates need for thrust washers

Thats interesting.

I would like the idea of buying American as well. Of course Aussie/Australia is not China.
I have an Aussie and I'm pretty happy.

•Eliminates need for thrust washers

Thats interesting.

I would like the idea of buying American as well. Of course Aussie/Australia is not China.
I have an Aussie and I'm pretty happy.

Exactly...sounds like install would be easier if thrust washers weren't needed, they must have found some way to get the gaps right without.

It's a question of going with what is proven vs. trying something new that has the potential to be great and easier...

Thanks for the link snowboardonsnow. I think I'll go with the spartan for the next locker. Then I'll have one Aussie and one Spartan.

I'm on 35" tires but definitely not light. I mainly do "light" wheeling though, hope that counts!

I am also happy with the Aussie I have. Australian is better than Chinese, but if I buy Marlin I'm also supporting a Californian!

" Each Spartan Locker carries a one year warranty against defect and is recommended for lighter vehicles with 35" or smaller tires."

This does not inspire confidence.

seems like if you want to go big tires and big torque...ARB or Detroit are your choices?

" Each Spartan Locker carries a one year warranty against defect and is recommended for lighter vehicles with 35" or smaller tires."

This does not inspire confidence.

I think this is a CYA statement and that they are prob. of the same strength as an Aussie or Lockright but I have nothing to back that up.

From Randy's Ring & Pinion...

"Spartan Lockers are recommended to lighter vehicles or vehicles with tires shorter than 32"

From Randy's Ring & Pinion...

"Spartan Lockers are recommended to lighter vehicles or vehicles with tires shorter than 32"

I read that too? Makes no since at all! Did they mean taller?

Anybody running an Aussie with 35+ tires and a v8?

Good thread and just what I needed! thanks

I think the extra money is going to go into a detroit though. Do it right the first time as my old man always says.

Yet they claim that it's stronger than a Lockright...I have a lockright in a heavy fzj80 with 315's and have wheeled it in Moab (Golden Spike, Poison Spider, Hell's Revenge) and never had anything that gave me pause occur, at all...

Made in the USA! The Spartan Locker is a mechanical locker that installs into your stock carrier. This compact and simple design rivals much more expensive lockers. The Spartan Locker features a revolutionary spring-and-pin design that makes this drop-in locker stronger than the Lock Right locker. It features oversized pins (larger than the Lock Right) while the couplers and drivers are made from 9310 chromoly steel to compensate in strength.

These units provide affordable traction without the need of a professional installation. Each Spartan Locker carries a one year warranty against defect and is recommended for lighter vehicles with 35" or smaller tires.

Lighter Vehicles..... :D

I'm still interested though.... hmmm. Was planning a full rear end rebuild this summer anyway.

I emailed yukon about the grizzly locker (similar to a detroit) and got an answer back w/in a day. Somebody could email then about the Spartan and the "lightweight" 35" tire questions.

Re the grizzly - it's not available for 9.5" diffs yet, targeted next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom