Sparks as in fire hazard + transmission dip stick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

COYS

SILVER Star
Threads
Really don't want to start a thread here, but I'm at a loss as to what happened.

Did a routine transmission oil level check. Car was cold/off. Pulled dip stick out. Drained some fluid. Went back to check fluid level. My flashlight went dead and my parking garage is dark so I had to eyeball where the fill hole was. I clearly missed the hole and at that point when I realized it's not in the hole, sparks flew. I have no idea what I touched, but I'd like to avoid inadvertent sparks at all costs or fix something that's not right in my engine bay as I don't want to incinerate my 80.

Any ideas? Thanks.

It looks like I may have touch the starter?

AFBAB940-4601-4E48-8885-C4FE2DFE1FB9.jpeg

Last edited:
Yea @jpoole can confirm but I thought it had to be idling and in neutral. It has a cold and hot level but apparently the hot level is more accurate after the gears have been run through.

Any reason you are checking it cold? Typically the trans fluid level is checked when it's hot and engine running after cycling through all gears.

I'm aware per the FSM.

I checked it idling hot. Got around to it when truck is cold and oil is cold. Thanks, jp.

Yea @jpoole can confirm but I thought it had to be idling and in neutral. It has a cold and hot level but apparently the hot level is more accurate after the gears have been run through.

FSM says hot, idling and cycle through all the gears before checking. Nothing about having to be in N. Thanks, Ozark.

Why don't you have a boot on your starter lug? Asking for a fire if you dropped a wrench between the un-fused, exposed, 2 guage starter cable and engine block??

Why don't you have a boot on your starter lug? Asking for a fire if you dropped a wrench between the un-fused, exposed, 2 guage starter cable and engine block??
Can you please share more about what I should be doing here? The more details the better. Thanks!

The original positive starter cable (and starter cables on all vehicles) have a protective cover to prevent accidental shorting. Picture taken from youtube. It's pretty important as the starter positive cable is a large guage wire that is connected directly to the battery, no fuse and no fusible link. Short it to the engine block and your battery will explode. A boot prevents this and the exact issue you encountered.

Honestly if someone is selling a battery cable kit and doesn't include that part... not much of a complete kit to be honest...

sddefault.jpg
Starter_Junction_Stud_Boots_Cable_Entry_View.jpg

I

Can you please share more about what I should be doing here? The more details the better. Thanks!
@COYS I just replaced my battery cables and you definitely need the rubber boot for your battery cable-starter interface. Lots of moisture up in that area when you're driving in wet conditions. Just good protection overall. Hence, why there was the factory plastic lug protector from Mr T.

When I bought my rubber boot from Amazon, I was being lazy when I went to place it over the cable lug and I did not disconnect the negative cable from the battery. The positive battery cable lug touched the starter and it was like the 4th of July up in there. Scared the piss out of me. Not recommended. Protect that little nugget with a boot.

It's all here

The original positive starter cable (and starter cables on all vehicles) have a protective cover to prevent accidental shorting. Picture taken from youtube. It's pretty important as the starter positive cable is a large guage wire that is connected directly to the battery, no fuse and no fusible link. Short it to the engine block and your battery will explode. A boot prevents this and the exact issue you encountered.

Honestly if someone is selling a battery cable kit and doesn't include that part... not much of a complete kit to be honest...

sddefault.jpg
View attachment 2946195
I

I bought the cable kit from @Fourrunner and messaged him.

The two larger cables (one to the block and one to the starter) are 1/0 marine grade tinned cable. Which boot would fit?

Last edited:
This one looks good.
Trying to get these shipped asap. You think these would fit ok? 👍🏼

MGI SpeedWare 5/8" Boot Covers for Battery Stud and Power Junction Blocks, Red and Black Pair (2/0-4/0ga) Amazon product ASIN B084DNKXX5

Trying to get these shipped asap. You think these would fit ok? 👍🏼

MGI SpeedWare 5/8" Boot Covers for Battery Stud and Power Junction Blocks, Red and Black Pair (2/0-4/0ga) Amazon product ASIN B084DNKXX5
measure the diameter of your wire and compare it to the little picture in the amazon ad. I bet you can figure it out.

measure the diameter of your wire and compare it to the little picture in the amazon ad. I bet you can figure it out.
Unfortunately I’m traveling and would like to get this done while truck is in shop this week. Fourrunner is in comm with me. Thanks man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom