Spark Plugs Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To All,

I own a 97 LX450 with 94K on the ODO. I have changed the spark Plugs 38,000 miles ago with the Bosch +4 type, I wanted to replace them with OEM's and after speaking with someone who works for Mercedes Benz about my attempt he advised that I should not replace the Bosch +4 type as they are good for at least 100K or more as they have what is referred to the ceramic electrode that will never wear out which is different than regular platinum electrodes, to confirm our brief conversation I compared both spark plugs and I can see what he is talking about, asked another friends point of view on the matter and he agrees that they should not be replaced yet.

What are your thoughts/advise on my course of action guys ?

Thanks
Al

You could always take them out and visually inspect them to see how they are holding up. Re-gap them if necessary.

Desertdude,
In my book, I'd say toss the old sparkies and replace them. It's only a few $, and keeps your truck running fine.

Could'nt get the Bosch Super 4's when I replaced the Spark Plugs in the FZJ80R(Dads had/has them is his Holden Barina - Vauxhall/Opel Corsa), But for $8 each :'( So when I replaced the previous Nippon Denso Spark Plugs, I went with Nippon Denso from Toyota for $3.50 each.

I just replaced the Bosch +4 in my BMW after ~40k, w/NGK, reason I did not use Bosch again, is after the first~15k the electodes, all four of them, removed themselves from one of the spark plugs while my wife was on a 300 mile trip, it ran rather rough she told me, when she got home (yeah, it barley idled!). I thought the engine had gone TI#@$ up, but checked the plugs and found the problem plug. Did not inspire confidence in the Bosch +4, seems alot of BMW enthusiasts prefer the standard Bosch over the plus 4. It's impossible to check the gap on those with the gap tool thingy I have, would be interesting to see what it was. IMOP it is cheap and easy to replace, just do it :D

A friend ran those fancy pancy Bosch 4+ in his Ford 302. He hated them. We changed it back to good ol' champions and his power and mileage noticibly improved. I heard you cannot gap them, at least this is what we were told as one of the reasons they didn't work well in his Ford.
I know I'll never even try to run anything but Nippondenso, NGK, or Champion in my Toyota or any of my small engines. You just can't beat em.
IMHO you should swap em out for some 'denso's.

Hey,
Ihate to agree with junk on this one but my two cents is its cheap insurance to replace them. I was quite frankly scared of the 4 prong boshies when they came out. I recall when the split fire type started surfacing a few years back and they actually made my old subaru drive worse than the standard bosch platinums. went back to the bosch after that, have run the standard bosch platinums in everything I have owned and love them to death. Never any problems with them and every spring I replace them.(along with the thermostat and the coolant and the trans fluid and the diff oil) Just a habit I have gotten into that has never treated me wrong.
Dave

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=2;threadid=4282;start=msg31967#msg31967 date=1060788261]

I know I'll never even try to run anything but Nippondenso, NGK, or Champion in my Toyota or any of my small engines. You just can't beat em.
IMHO you should swap em out for some 'denso's.
[/quote]

ND or NGK in the Yota. Champion in my lawnmower. That's all they are good for. I've never seen a plug wear out as fast as a Champion. I also put AC in GMs and Motorcraft in Fords. I like Bosch OK for German cars, but I don't get the 4 prong thing. The coil makes one spark. I don't get how it might split. It seems to me even if it was a long enough duration the ionization of the air would cause the easiest path to stay the same during a spark event. It sound like a marketing ploy to me and good enough reason not to buy anything from them.

I don't really think that cars prefer one brand of quality spark plug so I put the OEM in just because it seems right. I feel all of the OEM brands are pretty comparable except for Chrysler's strange choice of Champions. Even Albert Champion thought the quality was going downhill, so he quit and started AC products. At least, that's the story I heard. :D

Nippondenso all the way for me. I even run them in my 4.3 GM powered boat and in MY 1970 440 MAGNUM Mopar.....

I've been using the Bosch +4 in my Pathfinder for 60,000 miles and the Lancruiser now without problem. Multi-tip plugs have several advantages. 1) They require a lower kickoff voltage (hall effect, I can't remember the proper name). 2) They provide much more stable performance over the life of the plug than a single tip.

If you look at many new cars you will see that they are being shipped from the factory with multi-tip plugs.

Cary

Hey Guys,

You are the best as usual in regard to your responses, I checked the plugs that I have on the rig yesterday (Bosch Plat. + 4) they are in great condition, I never had issues with them, but as a maintenance precaution I just wanted to make sure that if they need to be changed I will, (I also picked up the Denso's. from the Toyota Dealer near my house) and I have them on the shelf of my garage, if I sense any hesitation I will be replacing them immediately.

Thanks Guys for all your help.

Cruiserdan, Nice 70 Magnum, what is your average 0-60 in this beauty, I bit you smoke some real rubber with that hot rod.

Thanks

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom