1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spark Plugs Gap And Valve Adjustment

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bj70alex, Feb 26, 2004.

1. bj70alex

bj70alex

Hi,

I've just bought a 93 with 146K. Of course, there are a few things needs attention.
    I will replace the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, gear oil in diffs, transmission service.
    I don't know if the valves were ever adhusted (shims). Do you guys think that I should do it even if the engine sounds very nice? Do you know if I have to buy each shim individualy depending on which size I might need or there is a kit available?
    What is the proper gap for the spark plug?

Are there anything else I should do at 146K????

Thanks,
    Alex
    85 BJ70
    93 FZJ80

2. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Alex,

I wouldn't worry about a valve adjustment. Lots of guys with 250k on the 1HZ-FE and no valve work. It might be useful to see who here's DONE one and what the symptoms were requiring it.

Other items. Verify condition of the birfield grease by sticking something in the square plug holes on upper forward surface of inner housing. Lube drive shafts, but STOP pumping immediately when the shaft elongates when you're hitting the zirc on the spline end of each shaft (3 total per shaft). Drain and refresh coolant, including drain the block which is on the left side down low. Check the air filter. Flush the brake system.

DougM

3. cruiserman

cruiserman

Check the valve clearances. It's way over due. All you need to do is pull the valve cover. Shims are sold individually.

Don't bother replacing the plug wires unless they need it (check resistances). Plug gap is in the owner's manual IIRC. Get a factory service manual.

4. malcolm

malcolm

I think changing plug wires and plugs can have a payback in this era of $2+ gas. I bought my 95 with 125K and replaced both and advanced the timing. I repalced the wires (NGK seem good (nice blue)), and put in bosch 4 prong plugs (no gaping to be done). I also replaced the cap and rotor and got all the electrical parts off the web somewhere at a fair price. I think since gas is so expensive and 80's are not thrifty there is a payback in getting a good spark to the plug. Explore advancing the timing, since you will get more power and hopefully efficiency, but don't let it ping.

5. syrinxstar

syrinxstar

The OEM is a good plug and you can buy it pre-gapped from a dealer.