Spark Plug Wires Coming Off Cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997, 230K, no mods to ignition system.

First time:
Just replaced cap, rotor, spark plugs. Re-used NAPA Belden brand spark plug wires from the previous owner.
New Cap: Bosch (made in Japan). The old and new caps (see below) all have identical markings and numbers, all same manufacture, different boxes when new.
New Rotor: Bosch (made in Japan)
Wires: Napa brand, Belden Max, used

Was running perfectly for 100 miles. Failed when towing trailer, 30mph, 1500 RPM - then instantly died. Pulled over, got the coil wire kinda back in and made it home:

20200822_174703.jpg

20200822_174719.jpg

Second Time:
Ran great for 400 miles, but it happened again today. 65 mph, fully loaded, towing trailer 5000 RPM, WOT passing an RV.

Since the first time this occurred I replaced:
Wires: NGK (Japan)
Cap: Duralast (Japan) Has identical numbering and markings as the Bosch, I assume same manufacturer, different box.
Rotor: Duralast (Japan) Has identical numbering and markings as the Bosch, I assume same manufacturer, different box.

20200906_141054.jpg

So what am I missing? All the wires snap firmly into place and cannot be removed with a tug.

Anyone else have this occur or am I the only idiot? Toss the $hit cap and rotor and get Toyota? Toyota Wires?

And one more pic for fun:

20200904_155849.jpg

Sounds like a good argument for OEM to me.

Toyota parts. Toyota parts. Toyota parts.

Three out of five times (master cylinder, u-joints, 100 series steering rack) that I’ve deviated from that guidance I’ve had issues.

The nice thing about a set of factory wires, the plug ends that plug into the cap are all correctly "clocked" to snap into a factory cap without putting any strain on the cap towers. If it were me. I'd spend the few extra bucks and buy a set of factory wires, along with a factory cap. My original factory cap and wires lasted 20 years so what more could you ask for.

Yep - agree. New Toyota parts coming soon. Hard to believe that quality aftermarket...oh wait, 2020.

Also posted this for other so they don't make the same mistake.

1599445203284.png

Yep - agree. New Toyota parts coming soon. Hard to believe that quality aftermarket...oh wait, 2020.

Also posted this for other so they don't make the same mistake.

View attachment 2428329
Breaking a "hammer" is easy, i use to work with some guys that if you gave them an anvil they could figure out a way to break it!

Just a thought, from the cheap seats... could it be there's too much dielectric grease on the conducting surfaces? That would increase resistance, resulting in excess heat, and perhaps creating a path of lower resistance towards elsewhere?
I've gone thru that on one of our vehicles (not the Cruisers...), took me a while to figure it out. The final hint was RF interference with the tach, which showed rpms not commensurate with what the engine was doing at the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom