Spark plug wires become unseated from distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the distributor ~10 months ago on my '94 fzj. During that process I removed the plastic clips that held the spark plug wires to the distributor as they were brittle and warped. Fast forward to yesterday when I had a sudden loss of power on the highway because my old oem wires disconnected. Shame on me, I know.

I plan on getting new wires but was wondering if it was worth the money to stay oem + replacing the distributor clips or getting just a reputable set of wires (e.g. NGK). Anyone else experience this issue? Are the clips even available? Appreciate any input

Last edited:
whatever you do don't ask the parts guy for an 'oil distributor'

Haha edited the post. Just seen so many posts about oil leaking into the distributor cap, I started it calling it that. Rookie mistake

Just get a set of Denso wires. They have the clips on them and are about $50.

I replaced the distributor ~10 months ago on my '94 fzj. During that process I removed the plastic clips that held the spark plug wires to the distributor as they were brittle and warped. Fast forward to yesterday when I had a sudden loss of power on the highway because my old oem wires disconnected. Shame on me, I know.

I plan on getting new wires but was wondering if it was worth the money to stay oem + replacing the distributor clips or getting just a reputable set of wires (e.g. NGK). Anyone else experience this issue? Are the clips even available? Appreciate any input
There have been many here that installed some version of aftermarket wires and had issues.
The OEM stuff fits, is marked well, and is fast to install, and it's really not much different in cost to aftermarket.

Plugs
Plug wires
Cap
Rotor
Gasket for cap

www.partsouq.com

The "clips" that hold the spark plug wires onto the distributor cap are available individually but cost close to $10 each so as mentioned above you're better off to just buy a new Toyota set of (Yazaki) wires and run them for the next 25 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom