Spark plug question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry guys, I'm sure this has been answered before but I've tried the search tool and the FAQ and I'm not finding quite what I'm looking for.

Basically is there a particular brand/spark plug type that is known to be preferred for the 1F?

Again, sorry for the redundancy.

Thanks,

I personally always use Champion spark plugs. I have used em for years and they have always worked well for me. I know a lot of people like the Ngk ones. The one plug I would caution you away from are the Platinum variety. I used to be a mechanic and while they market the Platinums as awesome plugs, we found that they always made the emissions values go up. More emissions equals less fuel being burned and less power.
Sometimes this increase was enough for them to fail smog just because of the plugs. Replace the plugs and then they would pass. Also, don't go for those gimmick plugs with four tabs. I think they are called split fire if I remember correctly. They don't actually work any better than a normal plug.

.NGK.

This thread has some good info on the early and later F engine plugs:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/48021-spark-plug-66-f-fj45lwb.html

I eneded up going to the dealership and have them look up the plug by year. Glad I did as the short reach plugs in mine were wrong.

This was very good info. Thanks.

Well, I've always been happy with NGK V power plugs myself but I've never tried them on this engine (I have the '69 by the way). In the NGK family, do any of you recommend anything in particular? I plan on staying away from the iridium and platinum plugs so I'm left with the basic nickel plug or the V power so again I'm leaning towards the V's. Thoughts, opinions? I don't mind changing brands either if the majority thinks I should. Just want the old chugger to remain happy with me.

thanks,

NGK or Denso. I know the Denso is OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom