Spark Plug blowout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a cruiser spark plug strip and blow out of the head while driving? My friend just had this happen on his 97 Lexus and is wondering what is the best fix. I suggested for him to tap the hole if the threads are just messed up and if it was bad to do a helicoil. Has anyone else had this happen?

I would be more concerned as to why this happened.

Was the plug put in loose and just backed out? Cheap plug?

Chasing the threads is an option, but then I'd be worried about metal shavings in the cylinder.....

Helicoil or Timesert. Works on Porsches with alumninum heads, should be fine for his pink panty mobile. :)

I had the same thing happen on my Ford F150 Lightning. I had it repaired at the dealer per the TSB that applied. I remember it being important to use a thread repair system that is made from aluminum and not steel due to the difference in heat transfer and expansion aluminum versus steel. Some of the guys on the Lightning forums had issues with spark plug heat ranges after using a steel repair system. I believe lock-n-stitch is the one.

Spark Plug Thread Repair Inserts

Hope this helps.
-jim

... Was the plug put in loose and just backed out? .....

99% of the time this is the issue, not properly installed.

Helicoil or Timesert. Works on Porsches with alumninum heads, should be fine for his pink panty mobile. :)

X2, pack the drill/tap with grease to catch most of the shavings/chips.

Yep, turns out the plug was loose and backed out. It only messed up the last thread and they were able to thread a plug back in the hole without an issue. I'd guess someone didn't tighten the plug properly since it only has 8X,000 miles on it and it was tuned up before my friend bought it last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom