Spare wheel assy - does it ever fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

So I'm traveling on a long trip & just winched the spare wheel up into place. I'm wondering if this ever failed for anyone, causing an accident? I mean the cable snapping or something like that. It's a single point of failure & don't want to lose the spare wheel on the road, possible causing an accident.
I'm debating if I should just throw the wheel somehow into the boot instead.

Cheers.

Haven't heard of them failing. They seem to hold up even with a good amount of rust. There are 2 versions, cable or chain. Chain seems to be a rarity. I guess the first thing to fail would be the housing, or the fasteners to the crossmember.

Haven't heard of them failing. They seem to hold up even with a good amount of rust. There are 2 versions, cable or chain. Chain seems to be a rarity. I guess the first thing to fail would be the housing, or the fasteners to the crossmember.
Great. Then fingers crossed:))
Thanks

not sure on the 100 series but the 60, 62 series fails in the up position, it rusts in place and you can't lower it. kinda opposite of the question.

not sure on the 100 series but the 60, 62 series fails in the up position, it rusts in place and you can't lower it. kinda opposite of the question.
...that, or people try to use the hook instead of the security nut as some manuals don't differentiate and simply can't figure out how to lower it. Know your type snd be sure you have that but in the tool bag.

It survived the first 430km leg!:)

1E85AEC9-7570-4BD1-9987-7D3DB5867155.png

Looks like there is more than the spare wheel hoist holding up. Great pics. Where are you travelling from, and to, and what kind of (back?)roads are you choosing?

We need some tech content: How is your brake booster? Make sure you stop immediately, with only one braking action, if you get the alarm and brake warning light.

Thank You!

The brake and everything seems to be holding up pretty well (no warnings etc, although there was a little fade on the 2nd day when coming down from 2.200m's.). It's a bit tricky with the automatic: O/D off most off the time, sometimes locked into 2nd gear, some times even 1st to manage the climbs/descends, and even then it smellt a bit funny and could see some black residue on the dipstick.

Uhm, here is the road plan. 2nd day trip was on "Transalpina - DN67C", and 3rd day was on "Transfogarasan DN7C".
There are still 3 more days to go, but no more mountain climbings:)

The short straight arrows in the bottom right (marked 2nd day & 3rd day) are pointing to the exact locations where the pictures where taken and showed here)

1571682848960.png

Still attached.

on the other hand. We visited a village today, that became the victim of copper mining, and the sludge produced by it.

It was like this in’86. Notice the church on the top of the “hill”, way above the houses
0D26601A-5F9E-44C6-BF63-881FFF43D0C6.jpeg

-1000 people & 33 years later the same church
CF4246CB-7A31-4858-8B27-6642427F02F7.jpeg

It’s a sad (and silent) place
6FD479F3-434B-48FF-8DA2-1AE7CF520E84.jpeg

but it has a strange beauty to it
C1276F90-BB33-463B-981F-A9FAADF3105D.jpeg

Reactions: uHu
Made it home today, all of the 1660km's without losing the spare wheel:) So hurraaay:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom