Spare Tire wench/holder alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did this about 5 yrs ago because no way in hell i was going to pay almost $200 for a new one. As you can see mine was rusted to the point where you couldn't put the cable up or down, had to cut the cable to get the tire off. My best friend that had a Sequoia at the time was concerned about it too, so we looked at his and it was rusted too, he ordered a new from a parts company for around $30 delivered. Before i helped him install it i played with it. ''No reason why i cant use this and save some money" So i order one up, used but looked new, Took off the hanger support while that was off did some rust removal and painting up in there. Had to drill 4 new holes of course because If you do this Toyota is out $100 buck, Drilled the new holes, Cleaned up the hanger support, Put in the 4 screws, crawled back under my Rig and mounded the the support hanger back up. If i didn't half to clean/paint this could of been done in under a half an hour by anybody.

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

I did this about 5 yrs ago because no way in hell i was going to pay almost $200 for a new one. As you can see mine was rusted to the point where you couldn't put the cable up or down, had to cut the cable to get the tire off. My best friend that had a Sequoia at the time was concerned about it too, so we looked at his and it was rusted too, he ordered a new from a parts company for around $30 delivered. Before i helped him install it i played with it. ''No reason why i cant use this and save some money" So i order one up, used but looked new, Took off the hanger support while that was off did some rust removal and painting up in there. Had to drill 4 new holes of course because If you do this Toyota is out $100 buck, Drilled the new holes, Cleaned up the hanger support, Put in the 4 screws, crawled back under my Rig and mounded the the support hanger back up. If i didn't half to clean/paint this could of been done in under a half an hour by anybody.

View attachment 2713703

View attachment 2713723

View attachment 2713727

View attachment 2713729

View attachment 2713730
What was the part number you sourced?

:cool: Any idea what the Max weight is that winch will handle?

If concerned about weight capacity, find a used 80 series version. It uses a chain and is a direct bolt on.

:cool: Any idea what the Max weight is that winch will handle?
Well , it was designed to hold an 18 inch steel wheel with a 32 inch tire on it so it will easily hold whatever aluminum wheel and 33 inch tire with no problem. I dont think you can git anything bigger than a 285 under these rigs anyway.

Well , it was designed to hold an 18 inch steel wheel with a 32 inch tire on it so it will easily hold whatever aluminum wheel and 33 inch tire with no problem. I dont think you can git anything bigger than a 285 under these rigs anyway.
I was thinking more about using it for cargo box garage lift. Where would one find the lifting/working weight numbers for this winch I wonder?

If you do replace it with OEM get the earlier version without the "Tire Lock" which either corrodes or is plugged with mud when you need it most.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom