Spare tire tool replacement, jack recs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up a 2” lifted 80. I checked recently for emergency gear and saw that both spare tire tools and jack are missing.

1) My main question is, where can I get spare tire tools in a hurry? I have seen forum posts recommending various sites to order OEM 80 tools, look in Parting Out, or check out a junkyard. These are all great options except that I’m hoping to take this up to the mountains in a few days for some light off-pavement while getting acquainted with it.

I saw a number of spare tire tools on e.g. Amazon for recent last ~10 year Toyota pickups... but not explicitly compatible with 80s. Any possibility they work? Any specifics are appreciated.

2) For the jack, I am looking for the safest possible option. I’m going to run out this week for a Torin 12 ton bottle jack (or similar) in town. Im concerned with bottle jacks that many of them will raise, break, and fail to lower.

I’m wondering, does anyone think that a Hi Lift with wheel hooks is preferable to a bottle jack? Everything I know I understand the Hi Lift to be a less safe option, but any thoughts are welcome.

The overly cautious part of me says to get both, using the bottle jack for tire changes and the farm jack for all other purposes/backup if the bottle jack gets stuck with the truck on top of it.

Anybody use an exhaust jack?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi lift is very versatile. I dont think the wheel mate will work well for changing tires unless you have a jack stand but theyre great for lifting one corner to stack rocks and brush in the hole you just dug getting stuck.

Exhaust jacks are neat but Id rather have a hilift and some attachments.

If the bottle jack wont lower just drive forward. Don’t think you’ll have that problem though.

Maybe try ebay for the stock tools. Id just get the stock bottle jack. Throw some chunks of 2x4/6 in with it.

the older Toyota truck tools will work as well as some Nissan truck tools. youll want something with a flat t shaped end to get the spare down

I got a new set from a 2009 Taco from a salvage yard. All tools and Jack work great!

Had never been used.

Great advice, thanks. Picking up Tacoma tools, bottle jack, and the Hi Lift plus attachments/replacement parts... three layers of backup to a functional tire, that's a bit of peace of mind.

Side note FYI, stock jack is on the order of $300 from Toyota.

Great advice, thanks. Picking up Tacoma tools, bottle jack, and the Hi Lift plus attachments/replacement parts... three layers of backup to a functional tire, that's a bit of peace of mind.

Plus, the Taco Jack is 3 stage instead of 2 stage so it goes higher for bigger tires.

Saw one without tools for 80$ or something used on ebay, for what its worth. Very good though.

I think the stock ( or any Toyota ) bottle jack is a good option. But for a little extra safety/easy of use, land cruiser Phil makes a bottle jack adapter which braces the frame / axel to add more stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom