Spare Tire Storage Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to see if there were any opponents out there of storing the spare on the top of the OEM roof rack. If so, what are the reasons other than the obvious (higher clearance needed, easier to steal, etc)?

I'm tired of putting the tire back under the rear bumper only to take it off again a few days later. It's definitely a PITA on the trails here as it drags and can possibly puncture on the rocks.

It's also a PITA inside at the back because it takes up so much room and gets in the way of the other gear that needs to be accessible on the trail.

Any bad experiences or reason the roof isn't a good idea?

Rear bumper with tire carrier is coming but OME lift and new shoes are first so until then, what say ye??

The roof rack will not really support the weight of that spare up there. It will become a projectile in an accident and will take the roof rack with it. Plus getting a tire on the roof is a PITA especially after you install the OME lift.

yeah, what mooker said.
haven't tried it myself, but i have it on good authority that the oem roof rack will not take the weight of the spare.
believe me, i wanted to throw it up there, but i'm putting up with the hassle putting it in the hatch until i get a swing out carrier.

first time you drop it, it'll cave in the roof...

PITA to put it up top. Tried it once and only once!

Derek

On my FJ60 I put my spare on my Kaymar roof rack for a while. Too high, too heavy, and didn't like the change in COG. I'd live with it underneath until you get the bumper.

You will rupture yourself getting the wheel up and down from there, and if your wife needs to get it she will never succeed. If she is smart she won't even try!

I had a Cherokee with a steel expedition rack, and I carried my spare on top. Never again - it's a real PITA!

Too much weight too high.

Too much wind resistance.

Too much stress on the oem rack.

Too much pain to move around.

Too much risk of body damage (both yours and the trucks)

I can't think of any good reason to put it there EXCEPT to give you more clearance.

John

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Getting the tire up and down doesn't bother me. I've kind of been messing with it all week, trying to figure out the ideal position. Even when I add the OME, I can stand on the step at each rear door and on the rear tailgate and have plenty of room to work.

Also, I'm not worried about the rack not supporting because it's not really supporting the tire anyway. The frame rails that are attached directly to the roof are and the sliding portion of the OEM rack have been moved so that they confine the tire from front and rear.

I am concerned about the actual roof not supporting the tire. Didn't think that would be an issue but I certainly don't want to cave the roof as e9999 mentions.

Anyway, it's certainly NOT ideal but neither are my other options right now until I get the rear bumper w/tire carrier. I guess if I abort the roof, it's back in the back because underneath isn't an issue of clearance as much as issue of not destroying the spare on the trail and then being SOL...

The factory rack is a decoration, bling, maybe OK for some sleeping bags, light stuff. I wouldn't trust it to hold a spare, if your going to try it make sure it's strapped down tight with ratchet straps so it wont bounce around. :D Have you looked at how it's mounted? Two small screws at each corner into rivnuts in the roof skin, very weak!

Have you tried doing the spare tire lift? It might make enough of a difference to get you by for now.

Josh83 said:
Have you tried doing the spare tire lift? It might make enough of a difference to get you by for now.
Not only that, but maybe going to a equal diameter but much thinner spare?

Andy, even when i put my spare in my ARB rack, it's hard as hell to get it up there and hard to get it down; but mostly i can actually feel that sucker when off-camber. Gives a little extra pucker factor. That's part of the reason that if i know i'm not going to need the rack for a while i'll take the entire rack off. I don't like any added weight to the roof.

I was actually thinking about trying to make some cheap holder to bolt into the rear 4 holes on the bumper with a hinge. Basically a piece of box steel attached to a hinge mechanism that would bolt to the bumper and stay vertical until you needed to access the rear, then you would pull the pin and it would swing down resting on the ground until you finished getting what you needed and then swing it back up in place and relocate the locking pin. Just an idea but it's something for the mean time.

cruiser4life said:
I'm tired of putting the tire back under the rear bumper only to take it off again a few days later.

I am surprised one of you enterprising gearheads haven't figured out a way to rig up a small electric winch motor and an up/down switch. :eek:

elmariachi said:
I am surprised one of you enterprising gearheads haven't figured out a way to rig up a small electric winch motor and an up/down switch. :eek:

What's wrong with the OEM spare tire hadn crank under the bumper?

Thanks for all of the good feedback guys. Some good ideas for sure.

It's obvious the rear bumper w/tire carrier is the ideal solution and my 80 will have one eventually, but until then, it's an imperfect situation with an imperfect solution...

If only I could move my tire carrier from the 40 to the 80. :rolleyes:

For now, I've got it tightened down firm with ratchet straps on top so it's not going anywhere and certainly won't bounce around.

I'm wheeling both Sat and Sun this weekend so I'll have a new "trail perspective" after that and keep working to figure out something better. The higher COG and off camber situations won't be fun but at least it won't be in the way inside and won't be in danger of blowing underneath.

Andy

With just the tire up there, shouldn't be too bad. Add a 100lb roof rack then put a 100lb spare tire up there and things start feeling a little diffrent.

Wait a sec. You ask for everyone's opinion on putting the tire on the roof. Every single person who responds says it's not a good idea. You end up doing it anyway...

Yeah that sounds just like me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom