Spare tire removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to get the original spare tire down on my '99. If I'm doing this right, it appears that the "hook end" of the tool fits into a cup-like device above the tire, and you crank the assembly counter-clockwise and it's supposed to drop the tire. As far as I can tell, the hook just spins inside the cup and is not actually turning the mechanism to drop the wheel. It's a metal rod on what feels like a plastic cup, and there isn't much if any grip in there to get it to turn. I can turn the plastic cup freely by hand, but it just isn't spinning when I use the tool.

I think I'm doing it all by the directions, but it also doesn't seem to be engineered well at all for the task. I'm thinking of adding some grippy rubber compound to the hook so that it has better friction against the cup. I hope I'm missing something really simple here, or else there's a much better way to to this than "by the book". I'm sure glad I'm finding this out in the driveway than on the freeway.

There is a ring inside the cup that the hook "hooks" into. The cup does not rotate.

Everyone should practice accessing their spare so they aren't hitting the whole learning curve on the side of the interstate in a blizzard/sandstorm/hurricane. So I'd say you are ahead of the game. ;)

Well, on mine there is no ring. Just the cup and a hex type nut inside it. The manual is not particularly clear, but it doesn't show a ring either. It just says to put the hook into the cup, put light forward pressure on it, and to rotate it. If there's supposed to be a ring in there, then I guess mine has come loose somehow.

Update: I just went back at it and figured it out. On mine, there is a special hex headed tool that inserts onto the rod rather than using the hook end like it says in the manual. I don't know if this was some dealer add on, or if they just changed the tools and not the manual. The tool was in a plastic bag with the special tool for the locking the lug nuts. I replaced the locking lug nuts with regular ones, just to avoid the problem of losing the special tool at some point. Good thing I didn't throw the bag away, or I would have lost this spare tire tool also. Mystery solved.

Last edited:
Bruce J said:
Well, on mine there is no ring. Just the cup and a hex type nut inside it. The manual is not particularly clear, but it doesn't show a ring either. It just says to put the hook into the cup, put light forward pressure on it, and to rotate it. If there's supposed to be a ring in there, then I guess mine has come loose somehow.

It sounds like your vehicle has a Factory Toyota spare tire lock installed on it.

Without the tool (included w/ the lock) that goes on the end of your hook, it will be close to impossible to lower your spare. Look around inside your tool bag and see if there is a small cylinder thats a little shorter than a pinky finger with a hex or star pattern on the end. If so, Put it on the end of the lowering rod, and it should mesh with the pattern on the lock.

I will try to take a pic tonight of the lock on mine, and post it here to see if that is what, in-fact you have on yours.

Thanks, I had just figured that out too and edited my other post. Thanks for your help.

Okay, so what does this tool look like? The one that goes on the end of the assembly to crank the spare down? Does it fit over the hook or instead of it? Does it end up using the star key as part of it or does it have a matching key pattern in it?

I have the star key for the lug nuts and I have the assembly thingie with the hook at the end....

Google "toyota spare tire lock". Looks like this:
photo_ext_accessory_full_17.jpg

Thanks. I found that picture for new tacomas and tundras but wasn't sure if it was the same thing used previously on hundies. Mine seems to have more of a cone in the front, but it probably just looks a little different staring at it through the little hole in the bumper...

:cheers:

I could not find the special adaptor- previous owner must have misplaced. Now what? Does the dealer have the master? And how can i take the cone off so the hook would work? Thanks.

I got new tires last month and BigO could not change my spare because of this.

I could not find the special adaptor- previous owner must have misplaced. Now what? Does the dealer have the master? And how can i take the cone off so the hook would work? Thanks.

I got new tires last month and BigO could not change my spare because of this.

May require a little bit of work, but you could unbolt the crossmember and lower the entire assembly with the spare attached. It's held on by 4 bolts. Pretty straight forward removal, then you will have plenty of access to get a wrench or improvise with removing it.

I stopped by the dealership and had them drop the spare (they have all key combinations in the shop) and ordered a replacement key. Also, for half hour labor they will remove lock itself. That way you would just need the hook to lower the spare...

I stopped by the dealership and had them drop the spare (they have all key combinations in the shop) and ordered a replacement key. Also, for half hour labor they will remove lock itself. That way you would just need the hook to lower the spare...
If you remove yours can I have it?
:grinpimp:

Sorry, just provided the removal part for informational purposes. I ordered a replacement key. I am planning on keeping the spare lock for the time being.

Thanks, Gents. Will be visiting the Idaho Falls dealer next week. Taking off spare lock AND wheel locks. Not a lot of tire jacking going on in my neck of the woods...

On my 2000 LC you use the hook attachment to lower the spare tire. You attached the hook piece to your cranking rod assembly and insert it into the cone. There was no special locking star key on mine thank god. You definitely want to make certain that your truck doesn't require that special key before you go down the road. If you don't have it you won't be able to change your tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom