Spare Tire Rack Lug Extensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have put 33x12.50s on my Cruiser and as such, the spare tire no longer fits on the tire rack. Anyone know where I can get lug extensions/lug extension bracket. I've asked around quite a bit and people have heard of them, but no one seems to know where I can get my hands on some/one. Any other solutions? Any additional problems that I may encounter?

Thanks,
Matt

We fabbed one up using 1 inch square steel tubing. We put it between the mounting bracket and the swing out carrier and just used longer stronger bolts. But that was on a 71 FJ40. I don't know your year.

I have found putting a big arse tire on a stock carrier causes a bunch of problems, the least of which is the length of the studs. If you want longer studs use those from the rear of an FJ60 Toy #90942-02052. They are like 1.75" long, about 1/2" longer than stock FJ's IIRC. You could also use any longer bolt or a piece of all-thread rod for that matter. Cut, fit, weld, it all can be done. Because the tire is larger, this can create several other problems. First the weight. Most of the hinges are shot anyway from carrying around a 27-29" tire for 30 years. Put a tire that weighs twice as much on worn out hinges and you got a sloppy mess. I machined new bronze bushing as the OE plastic ones were wasted on my 75. The other problem is that the larger diameter causes the tire to protrude out further on the PS making you have to rotate the tire out to open the rear ambulance door. Pre 75 doesn't apply here but the tire sticking out on the DS can catch on something and you can guess what happens next. Back in the early 80's I saw one take out the drivethu window at McD's. It made a mess of the rear of that 40. It fawked the carrier, hinges, latch, rear quarter, DS rear door and glass. The only real fix is to build or buy a stronger carrier that can handle the bigger tire.

Thanks for the resonses and part numbers...very helpful. It sounds like I'm just going to have to do some minor fabrication to make this work, which is no problem. I'll be sure to check the bushings on the tire carrier and replace as necessary.

Cheers,
Matt

I just got done making the exact extensions you are talking about. I used the same studs. My extension away from the tire carrier was reached by removing the bracket that has the studs on it. I then used 1 1/2 inch pieces of 1/2 inch conduit and 2 inch bolts to space it away from the tire carrier. Now my 33 in 12.5 15 in tire fits great. I just went on two very rocky trips with tons of bumpy roads and had no problems. As previously posted though, don't count on this to replace a good aftermarket tire carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom