• PLEASE READ >>> Accounts Security Locked

The link above goes to a thread in the Announcements - Help - Testing section of the forum....you are welcome to follow normal menu structure and find it there. ~woody

Spare Tire Question

If needed, could you run a shorter spare tire than the ones on vehicle?
32” tires on vehicle and 29” spare.
Would you run the spare in a emergence?
If so how many miles could you run it?

I suppose you could always just put it on the front and unlock the hub. You'd have to do half of a "tire rotation" excersize if you had a flat in the back. Front >> back, Spare>>front.

Or, better yet, look on Craigslist for a used tire the size you need. Around here, people are always posting used tires that they've taken off with 30-40% tread. That would be great for a spare. I picked up a spare 33x12.50 Avon (off brand) mud terrain for a spare tire that was brand new from craigslist for $30. Its a much better option than running a tire 3" smaller.

Good luck! :cheers:

Out of curiousity, what is your situation that you have to run a spare of a different diameter? Do you not have the right tire, or is there a space issue?

In two wheel drive, with diffs unlocked it should not be a problem.

If you have an autolocker you will have to put the smaller wheel in the front and unlock the hubs.

If you engage 4 wheel drive, have any type of locker or LSD you will damage parts (diff, gearbox,...)

So it can be done, but you have to know what you're doing.

Personally I have 34" for off road and a set 31" all-terrain for daily usage. With the 34s I use a 31" as spare tire. I know I will have to limp home if I have a flat tire.

Bart

I've used a 31" as a spare when I blew my 33" spare. Only drove 4 miles but no adverse effects. I changed out the diff oil to be sure and no metal or other problems.

A tough trail could get a lot tougher with a smaller tire on your rig.

For street it wouldn't be a big deal with open differentials.

Look on craigslist for the correct size, to play it safe. If you want to use a smaller tire cuz you have it, sell it on craigslist and get what you need.

FishNinJay

SILVER Star
If needed, could you run a shorter spare tire than the ones on vehicle?
32” tires on vehicle and 29” spare.
Would you run the spare in a emergence?
If so how many miles could you run it?

Similar question..

I have Toyo 33x12.5x15 tires with no spare.
I'm trying to figure out spare tire carrier solutions, but in the meantime, considering just throwing a spare in the back. Can I use ANY 33" tire?
Like a narrower one? How narrow can I go? (not like a bike tire, or those toy car spares)

I'm wondering if it's even worth it just to save just a few inches in width, and also weight. How much lighter is a 10.5 vs 12.5 etc... ? Any ideas? Thanks...

Here's my current set-up:
607619791_MbxRa-S.jpg

Secure it!

Similar question..

I have Toyo 33x12.5x15 tires with no spare.
I'm trying to figure out spare tire carrier solutions, but in the meantime, considering just throwing a spare in the back. Can I use ANY 33" tire?
Like a narrower one? How narrow can I go? (not like a bike tire, or those toy car spares)

I'm wondering if it's even worth it just to save just a few inches in width, and also weight. How much lighter is a 10.5 vs 12.5 etc... ? Any ideas? Thanks...

Here's my current set-up:
607619791_MbxRa-S.jpg

You could run a narrower tire to save space. I don't think you'd save much weight. 7.50 r16 tires are narrow and similar in diameter. They came stock on some land cruisers. They're a little spooky to drive on though.:steer:

I have tried the green stuff on my ATV tires and it seems to work. Stopped some tubeless slow leaks. I kinda gave up using it because it is expensive. Costs way too much IMO, I don't like to suppot bad behavior.

mattcamp

SILVER Star
The guys at the tire shop hate you when you use fix a flat, some even charge extra. I need to get a full size spare aswell, I have always liked a rig with a matching set of rims and tires including the spare but five is so much more dough than four. Craigslist is a good source for tires for sure. -Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom