Spare tire mounting idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So those of us who don't want to pony up and get a new rear bumper constantly come up with new ideas of places to put the spare: hood, cargo area, factory roof rack, in front of grill, in passengers lap, in garage, etc...

Here is another idea: What about putting it one the upper section of the back door? Obviously the first problem is the weight. I found 250lb gas springs for under $25 bucks. The mounts wounld have to be beefed up, but do you think the frame of the tailgate could handle the weight too? If so, the only other down side I can see is that if the spare were off, the rear window could knock you flat on your ass if you weren't paying attention.

If this doesn't work, I'll just get really long studs on the front left wheel and make it a dually :)

I figure the visibility issue wouldn't be any different than having a swing-out bumper mounted carrier.

I know we all have our likes and dislikes. However, I just don't get this at all. :confused:

What about the visibility? and trying to get it off?
LOL.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Bad idea in my mind. The upper tail gate shell is VERY expensive and if you tweak it you will be pissed.

skep.gif

I am currently buidling something to mount it inside the cargo area and i will be posting pics soon!

I suppose it is not really worth the trouble it would be to do it even close to "right." I was thinking of making a mount for it that would hold the tire and provide additional strenght to the frame, but it would probably be only slightly more expensive to make a swing arm.

I really wish my 80 had troop doors. Why the hell does Toyota think Americans like tailgates?

Pete483e483 said:
Why the hell does Toyota think Americans like tailgates?

Without tailgates, there would be no tailgating! Then what would you do before a ballgame? :flipoff2:

apcoleman said:
I would like to see this
:cheers:

Will you be at pismo?

I am going to try to incorporate the following into this project:

-Sleeping Area (I am 6'3" 260lbs)
-Spare Tire Carrier
-Hi Lift Mount
-Drawers for tools and recovery gears
-Fridge (wont have this for pismo)

Cruiserhead05 said:
Mangler,

Look at coleman's profile....he's from VA....unfortunately us guys probably wont be making pismo

DOH! Stupid Me! :D

I still think in front of the grille is the place to put it..... keeps rocks and whatnot out of the radiator, is not too high to block a bunch of forward view, puts weight up front when climbing hills (instead of hanging off back end) doesnt need to be on a complicated / heavy swivel or swinging mount,

wouldnt be too close to grille to impede the fans ability to pull air thru rad, but high speed air flow might be effected (although that might not be that big of a deal)

Rusty Phillips the front wouldn't be hard to do I made one fot a truck one time it worked good.

barn doors are for barns....Here's four reasons why tailgates rule
tailgates rule.jpg

stayalert said:
barn doors are for barns....Here's four reasons why tailgates rule

Right on... I've had more picnics and good conversations with my daughters on the tailgate of my FJ60 than I can count. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom