spare tire lift... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
first, i did read the FAQ!

going to use black pipe nipples but the thread really never said what the maximum height was to still to use the hand crank... looks like somewhere between 2.25" and 3"... (3 or 4 3/4" nuts per J. holmas, or 6 to 8 3/8" nuts... see i did read it!)

can anyone help narrow this down? something better than black pipe?

thanks!

CMC,
I can't help you....sorry, but will request that you take pics if possible. This is a mod that many do and having pics are always nice to see the difference before and after.

I raised mine about 2.5", but then the crank was tough to get to (I even did a little tweaking of sheet metal underneath to get better access).

Then I finally dropped the crank mechanism about 3/4" and that made all the difference in the world. The crank mechanism is mounted to the cross-bar with four bolts. I just found four longer bolts and spaced the mechanism down with a thick nut at each corner.

ok... i'll try 2" and see how that works... i'll take some pics...

thanks, guys

I think you might have missed his point. I don't have my spare underneith, so I couldn't verify for you, but I think he's talking about 2 modifications....one to raise the cross member, and the other to lower the crank. Maybe you can check yours out or TARBE can clarify a bit for others that follow. The crank is the only limitation in how high you go.

Definatly post pics as I have a friend that wants to do this as well.

Safado said:
I think you might have missed his point. I don't have my spare underneith, so I couldn't verify for you, but I think he's talking about 2 modifications....one to raise the cross member, and the other to lower the crank. Maybe you can check yours out or TARBE can clarify a bit for others that follow. The crank is the only limitation in how high you go.

Definatly post pics as I have a friend that wants to do this as well.

Correct - two mods. Raise the cross piece and lower the crank mechanism that is attached to the cross piece.

Actually there are two limitations that I ran into. One is exactly what you stated above. At some point, you can't get your tool into the crank (?).

The other is at the back side of the spare you hit the crossmember and just can't get the rear half of the tire any higher.

My spare now sits parallel (level) with the ground. Stock, the front is lower (not such a bad thing as it is tucked right behind the diff). But it can't be bad to get the thing higher, period. I also needed to get a spare to more closely match the diameter of my 295/75 so I got a 255/85. Cheaper, lighter and skinnier! Essentially the same dia. so no center diff issues and a little more clearance. One day maybe, I'll spend the $ for a fancy rear bumper, but I don't think that day is anytime too soon (unless I manage to do some mods at the Ramble!).

Best thing is, there is no cost if you have a bunch of left over fasteners lying around, couple bucks worst case scenario.

Last edited:
Just did it.

I just raised the cross member by 1.3". I just did it with what I had on hand and was curious about what it would look like. I think that I will raise it some more, but I need to find some better spacers, using fender washers right now. I didn't need to lower the crank, but will do so when I find better spacers. Took about 45 minutes.

Ross
before2.jpg
after2.jpg
mount.jpg

I assume you will need longer bolts in both cases of raising the cross plate and lowering the chain mechanism ? If so.. Anyone know the thread pitch and length of bolt you recommend, as I would probably have to go to Home depot or hardware store to get the longer bolts. Thanks

gbell210,
I used 6, M8, 1.25mm, 50mm long bolts and I think 5/8" washers. I need to get some longer bolts to raise it more 65 or 70mm? The crank is attached to cross-member with four bolts that are also M8, 1.25mm. I don't know how long those are, maybe 15 or 20mm? I don't think you can lower the crank much so 35mm or 40mm would probably work. You will need new washers for the new bolts as well.

For spacers, I think I am going to go with some steel (stainless?) pipe instead of the washers. My tires are stock 275 70R16 and I will be upgrading to 285 75R16 in the next week or so. Good luck.

Ross

thanks ross... this helps very much...
i'm going to try pipe of some sort also!

casey

cmc said:
thanks ross... this helps very much...
i'm going to try pipe of some sort also!

casey

I don't deserve credit, I got started from something e9999 posted. If you search for his posts + spare tire you should be able to pull it up. This was my first 'mod' to my new LC. It was fun.

Ross

GeoRoss said:
I don't deserve credit, I got started from something e9999 posted.

To properly give credit for this mod you would need to go back to John Holmaas (landpimp) or maybe someone before him. AFAIK, John posted the first pics of his raised spare tyre carrier about 4 years ago.

E9999999 gets recognition for his own ideas like the coolant flushing FAQ and the 10,000 things to look for when buying a used Land Cruiser. :D

-B-

Beowulf said:
To properly give credit for this mod you would need to go back to John Holmaas (landpimp) or maybe someone before him. AFAIK, John posted the first pics of his raised spare tyre carrier about 4 years ago.

E9999999 gets recognition for his own ideas like the coolant flushing FAQ and the 10,000 things to look for when buying a used Land Cruiser. :D

-B-

Thanks for the correction, e9999's post was the one with the info I used, I'll check out landpimp's solution for this. Too bad all the old pic's are gone.

Ross

I'm gonna do this mod , very soon ! Thanks

ok ... but it looks pretty easy , just unbolting the mount , throwing spacers in and voila ! but I'll look at theres too ! thanks

I just looked at theres and its $110... I bet I could save at least a c note with just using spacers and longer bolts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom