Spare Tire Jack (hoist) Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I'd share my weekend build. Getting my spare out was not as simple as it should be. At quick glance the rust and years of dirt has made the spare tire hoist almost worthless. I removed the cross member and only broke one bolt. That's 25% but hey it is an 84. The four bolts to remove the hoist came out without any complications. One c clip and some drilling of two rivets and it was all apart. The second picture shows the parts after a quick trip to the bead blast booth. Easy Saturday morning project. Cross member also got wired wheeled than sanded and a coat of paint.

1413687853934.jpg

1413687879321.jpg

1413687970109.jpg

1413688119314.jpg

That's funny, Last weekend I did the same thing to mine! Works so much better now! It's the little things...

Here are a couple of pics of mine. I haven't installed it yet.

Looks nice. My metal was so pitted on the cross member I don't think it could ever look as nice as yours. Nice work

Sometimes it's just the small Saturday cruiser jobs that keeps me from going crazy:) plus I live the idea of a running project.

Just thought I'd share my weekend build. Getting my spare out was not as simple as it should be. At quick glance the rust and years of dirt has made the spare tire hoist almost worthless. I removed the cross member and only broke one bolt. That's 25% but hey it is an 84. The four bolts to remove the hoist came out without any complications. One c clip and some drilling of two rivets and it was all apart. The second picture shows the parts after a quick trip to the bead blast booth. Easy Saturday morning project. Cross member also got wired wheeled than sanded and a coat of paint.

View attachment 955253

View attachment 955254

View attachment 955255

View attachment 955257

Hello Bowling4$,

Thanks for the great pictures of your rebuild.

Question - After taking out the C-clip and the Trunnion, how did you get the casing off? I see shiny metal, but no actual bolt or clip that is keeping it attached.

When I refer to casing, I mean the cover that holds in the chain holder/mechanism. See my pictures below.

I am guessing I have to just use a metal punch?

And when you put it all back together, how did you get it reattached, since there are no screws?

Many Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 12.11.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 12.10.47 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom