spare tire in cargo comp. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering moving my spare tire (33") into the cargo compartment. I get tired of having to move the spare out of the way every time I want to open the back. I have seen several threads about putting it on the driver's side and mounting it to the existing brackets for the tire jack and such. This looks like really flimsy metal and I am doubtful that anything that you attached a 50 lb tire to at that spot would hold in a collision. Can a person build something that attaches to the floor, and if so, will is withstand a sudden forward collision.

Yeah, I know, "use the search"...but you probably don't have dial-up..

I have mine laying flat in the cargo area. Not the best solution, but it will work till I get the roofrack built. If you are gonna mount it upright, Id damn sure make sure it is secure. A 50# projectile = instant death in a collision.

Hodag

I have mine laying flat in the cargo area. Not the best solution, but it will work till I get the roofrack built. If you are gonna mount it upright, Id damn sure make sure it is secure. A 50# projectile = instant death in a collision.

Hodag
ya cabillias has a universal mount that will fit a cruiser.i found it one day when i was screwing around in the warehouse

What I made is shown in post 8 of the thread below. It mounts to the floor and to the sheet metal under the rear window. In both places there is a backing plate for reinforcement. I too have a 33" tire.

I don't like the kind that have the mounting plate that sticks out to bolt to the rim. I think these take up too much space when/if you don't have the tire in the back.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=66414

get a rack for the top:cool: problem solved

I agree about the rack. It's a very good spare tire solution and adds a ton of cargo capacity to the rig to boot. Buy 4 or 6 rain gutter mounts (I used Quick N Easy), some 3/4 thin-walled tubing, find a buddy with a wire welder and tubing bender, and get after it. I did, and I'm no fabricator by any means. For the tire mount, I used a long piece of threated rod that I welded to the rack vertically and then welded some arms onto a nut to cinch it down (so I wouldn't have to use a wrench every time I took it off. I finished it off by coating the whole rack with Durabak (great stuff!).

The only drawbacks are 1) a little extra height which may add slightly to instability (and my rack clears my carport ceiling but the tire doesn't) and 2) when you actually have to take the tire off, if it's a larger tire like my 35" BFG MT, it'll about give you a hernia getting it off the roof. But I like the set up a lot better than having to swing it out of the way every time I want to get into the back or having it drag when mounted in the stock location.
Roof Rack.jpg

4 runner

I use bungee cords.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom