Spare tire holder fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I couldn't find this answer on the FAQ or forum search.... although I'm sure its out there!

I have an 81 FJ40 and my spare tire holder literally broke in half last week! Found a great replacement from '78 40 but some suggested it wouldn't fit. I was under the impression that the bodies really didn't change much from 78-81...

Looks identical to mine on the pictures.

Thanks for any help!

Spector off road shows a split starting in 5/1980. So your 81 is different somehow from the 78. No idea what the difference is.

The hinge mounting holes are a little more widely spaced on the 5/80 up carriers than on the 77 thru early '78. At least on the upper hinge. I think the lower changed a little later. Vertical dimensions are the same. It's just the horizontal spacing. The holes are spaced only about a 1/4" wider so you have to remove the weld nuts on the inside of the tub (and in the wheel well) and affix new ones if using a later carrier on a slightly earlier body or vice versa. You might be able to weld up the holes on the later hinges and redrill to the earlier dims. I'm not certain about redrilling earlier hinges to fit the later wide spacing. There may not be enough width to get a strongly supported hole. I also don't remember if either set of holes lines up correctly so you only have to redrill two on each hinge or if all four are slightly off. For accuracy this is determined by the location of the latch hook on the sill.

For the earlier '77-78 hinges you can use the 5/80 and up hinge pads but they will slightly bend/round up to fit into the fold of the hinge. Barely noticeable. Or just make them out of bicyle innertube - about the same.

Last edited:
Can you not reweld your broken one? I have never seen an FJ40 tire carrier fail in the manner you describe!

I just put a 4 plus tire carrier on. Not sure if you have considered it depending on look your going for. Less rattles and takes weight off body.

634C6EA7-53E3-41B2-A115-D7988B457BC8.jpeg

84E4850E-8828-49A8-989F-51872FAFA2EA.jpeg

I left passenger side bumperette on.
My stock carrier was in great shape and can be put back on. My thought was I’m carrying a heavier oversized spare and as mentioned, didn’t want to risk, and maybe there wouldn’t be, the extra tension on tub. When I drove it yesterday it did seem to eliminate rattles!

290531EC-4EB8-4ABB-84D6-39ED241C52CA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom