Spare tire, exhaust mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
Hi everyone

I have been going over where to put my 31.5” diameter spare tire. In the hope of avoiding heavy rear bumper or using a Wilco, I decided to remove spare tire carrier and take a concise look at the space I have. There is a Reese hitch and aftermarket exhaust system ‘ bookending’ my spare. I can get it in but it touches the exhaust.

An option I will look at is modifying my aftermarket exhaust, right now there are 2 pipes, and will see if muffler guys says one can be removed, alternatively seeing if both can be adapted. Anyway I have 2 questions

1. to modify, adapt, reroute exhaust, is that possible at a reasonable cost? I imagine maybe a few cuts, add some pipe or whatever they suggest.

2. What does a standard exhaust Layout look like, if it was that way I heard a tire my size may fit?

1D8859C9-C372-4839-AF9F-9BE48B96DE54.jpeg

Trying to weigh up best options.
Thanks

Original had a only a single pipe

PO pimped this with a louder double exhaust. Sounds ok but may consider reverting it back to original. Although this exhaust is in good condition and looks expensive.

What year is your LC? You can get a cat-back exhaust kit that fits 95+ model years for $200 on RockAuto. That will take you back to a stock fitment.

To follow up.

I worked out if i cut one of the exhaust pipes of at the 'Y' i can get the tire in. The spare would have to move to one side an inch or two, but i hope the tire carrier can handle this adjustment, or i attach a bracket to the tire carrier to hold tire to one side.

Anyway the muffler guys says doing this wouldnt change performance and to cut and cap the pipe would be under $100

I'd recommend getting a stock fitment rear exhaust section. The aftermarket versions don't cost much. I have a bosal--not the greatest quality but cheap. It will fit any spare tire up to 34" with the reese receiver still in place. I can fit a true 35" spare (35x10.5x16) under mine when I remove the hitch. The exhaust is not a factor--nowhere near the tire.

:edit: not my image, but this shows a stock exhaust routing. Steers clear of the tire, where yours cuts diagonally through the area near the right frame rail.
20131222_151441.jpg

20131222_151448.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos thanks, helps me out a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom